Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Think that I'm going to have to put a chicken down soon. One of my original girls, a BSL, has been acting off for over a week. kinda droopy, not moving around much, and just looking lethargic. Had to clean off a large buildup of poop off of her on Sunday. Seems to have pooped since then, but doesn't seem all that steady lately. Also have noticed that she's roosting on a low step up roost right now. Not exactly sure that she's seeing all too well either. She's 5 years old and would have already been one of the candidates to cull if I didn't have enough room in the coop for 20 chickens next winter.

Did you check for lice? Thats how some of mine were acting.

Leaving for our first camping trip today. Going to Monroe, MI. Grandkids are so excited. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Have fun camping, so are we, though we're headed the other way toward Coldwater.

Well, hopefully they'll finish the foundation pour today and get the wall frames set to finish the cement work there. The flat work will be next, and at this rate, I hope we can get the roof on before deer season! Maybe I'm just too impatient or too used to the corporate world where everything has to be done now! If I had the equipment, we would be putting the roof on by now. lol!

I will be LTB some more pullets for CS, I'll check the thread out.

BTW - to the new folks, we hold an annual chicken stock picnic in June in Lansing!! See the flyer below!
2019 chicken stock.PNG

What a crazy day for me. I won't bore you with the details. But I'll tell you this...work had several Sapphire Gem pullet chicks that they wanted gone, like GONE yesterday. So they ended up coming home with me. Over 20 chicks about 2 weeks old priced at 75 cents.
I had them in a box in the back of the Jeep while I tried to get a brooder ready for them. While I was trying to do that, my damn devil dog puppy leaped through the open door window, opened the box and grabbed one of the batch and ran off with his victim! All in the matter of seconds.
I failed on several levels. Impulse purchase. Not ready for chicks. Did not have a safe, secure holding area for the babies. Just not prepared.
Chicks are now housed in my bathtub with the door closed to keep out the dog. They are safe and secure for tonight. Tomorrow I'll have them in a proper brooder.

The good news of this is that the chicks were rescued from the deplorable conditions at work. They appear to be healthy. I'll probably bring some of them to Chicken Stock.

@uchytil I left a message under one of your photos of litters on fb..I’m interested in one of the grey or white ones...just wanna know which are available ,sexes and I want one that seems pretty friendly and whatnot!! I’m kinda new to rabbits I did have one that was litter trained and ran with my cats years ago when my kids were growing up but it’s been over 15 years ago..do females or males tend to make a better pet or doesn’t matter? Just depends on individual rabbit?
I keep forgetting who’s bringing what but I’m still wanting some D’Uccles pullets!! And silkies if anyone will have em!!
As for me I have two BR pullets available and I’m still a bit unsure on ducks I know I have two females other two I’m still on fence so..but I’m beginning to lean towards all female and I want one drake they are Rouens..so I may have a female to trade for a male not sure yet!!

The sapphire gem chicks have been moved from the bathtub to a brooder in the garage. I want to do some work in the coop to make it nicer. Then they will get moved to there so they can grow out and be integrated to the flock.
Now it's time to clean the bathroom. Ugh.

I sorted my bantam chicks today, finally. Hatched from my flock April 20th, and some are coming to Chickenstock.
Four bantam EEs, sex unknown, I'll keep two or three pullets (if lucky!) and one cockerel. We'll see by June who they are.
Seven bantam EE/ Belgian d'Uccle crosses, all very very cute, small combs, slightly feathered legs. Again, so far unsexed, and all to Chickenstock.
Ten Belgian d'Uccles, including six cockerels. Two pullets and one or two cockerels will stay here.
More standard chicks for CS also, Speckled Sussex for sure, the rest ???
Mary

Back
Top Bottom