Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    I would also like to say to all the men and women who have served our country! :)

:love THANK YOU!!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sorry bigmgr, not fun.

3. RaZ

RaZ Crowing

Apr 20, 2011
    Paradise, MI
    What a crazy day for me. I won't bore you with the details. But I'll tell you this...work had several Sapphire Gem pullet chicks that they wanted gone, like GONE yesterday. So they ended up coming home with me. Over 20 chicks about 2 weeks old priced at 75 cents.
    I had them in a box in the back of the Jeep while I tried to get a brooder ready for them. While I was trying to do that, my damn devil dog puppy leaped through the open door window, opened the box and grabbed one of the batch and ran off with his victim! All in the matter of seconds.
    I failed on several levels. Impulse purchase. Not ready for chicks. Did not have a safe, secure holding area for the babies. Just not prepared.
    Chicks are now housed in my bathtub with the door closed to keep out the dog. They are safe and secure for tonight. Tomorrow I'll have them in a proper brooder.

The good news of this is that the chicks were rescued from the deplorable conditions at work. They appear to be healthy. I'll probably bring some of them to Chicken Stock.

Candy442 and 1muttsfan like this.
  4. Yochickiemomma2

Yochickiemomma2 In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2019
    Northern Michigan
    First I'd like to start on a happy note and say happy holiday and thank you to everyone who has served in the military.
    RaZ sounds like you have your hands fuller than usual.

1muttsfan likes this.
  5. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    @uchytil I left a message under one of your photos of litters on fb..I’m interested in one of the grey or white ones...just wanna know which are available ,sexes and I want one that seems pretty friendly and whatnot!! I’m kinda new to rabbits I did have one that was litter trained and ran with my cats years ago when my kids were growing up but it’s been over 15 years ago..do females or males tend to make a better pet or doesn’t matter? Just depends on individual rabbit?
    I keep forgetting who’s bringing what but I’m still wanting some D’Uccles pullets!! And silkies if anyone will have em!!
    As for me I have two BR pullets available and I’m still a bit unsure on ducks I know I have two females other two I’m still on fence so..but I’m beginning to lean towards all female and I want one drake they are Rouens..so I may have a female to trade for a male not sure yet!!

1muttsfan likes this.
  6. RaZ

RaZ Crowing

Apr 20, 2011
    Paradise, MI
    The sapphire gem chicks have been moved from the bathtub to a brooder in the garage. I want to do some work in the coop to make it nicer. Then they will get moved to there so they can grow out and be integrated to the flock.
    Now it's time to clean the bathroom. Ugh.

1muttsfan and aart like this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I sorted my bantam chicks today, finally. Hatched from my flock April 20th, and some are coming to Chickenstock.
    Four bantam EEs, sex unknown, I'll keep two or three pullets (if lucky!) and one cockerel. We'll see by June who they are.
    Seven bantam EE/ Belgian d'Uccle crosses, all very very cute, small combs, slightly feathered legs. Again, so far unsexed, and all to Chickenstock.
    Ten Belgian d'Uccles, including six cockerels. Two pullets and one or two cockerels will stay here.
    More standard chicks for CS also, Speckled Sussex for sure, the rest ???
    Mary

Candy442 and AngieMaesChix like this.
  8. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Crowing

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    I haven't really noticed any of them lately, but I will do a check of them tomorrow for that. So far she seems to have perked up a bit lately. Sometimes just you thinking about it is all the motivation that they need to start feeling better.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Got peeping happening under the broody out there!!

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    :wee:thumbsup:celebrate Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: