aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Interesting thing going on with one of my chickens. She is laying her egg with an extra deposit of calcium on the shell. The shell is brown but the extra bit is white. I always thought that the colour was the last step in laying an egg. Could her egg be goings backwards just before laying?
Post a pic?

chickflick

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Dimondale
I had a chicken do that one time. It was weird, but it washed right off.
The winter storm warning turned into a big hoax. Perhaps a dusting. Weather people and their drama..

1muttsfan

Free Ranging
9 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
It might just be a chalky coating. Eggs can actually go back a little bit, that's how they can get double shells.

Take some uncooked rice and put in in the end of a cotton sock, then tie the sock off. Heat in the microwave before going out to work, and keep it in your pocket to warm your hands on while you are working. Cheap, easy and really effective hand warmer.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
The winter storm warning turned into a big hoax. Perhaps a dusting. Weather people and their drama..
I think they put those warnings out:
1) because they are bored and miss the drama of a real snow event.
2) because people forget how to drive in ice and snow and do need to be warned. :gig

Last edited:

1muttsfan

Free Ranging
9 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
We got about 4 inches, just enough to need the tractor on the driveway. Fortunately it has warmed up so not too bad doing chores. And the sun is shining today! I need to track down my sunglasses, haven't needed them for a few weeks :cool:

RaZ

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Paradise, MI
I think it is just a glitch. There are 2 groups. The older hens have been laying for over a year and the young birds have been steady for about 6 months.
I've just hadn't seen that before. Although I've had similar deposits of potassium after the hens have eaten bananas. These girls haven't had any bananas lately. I just found it interesting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom