Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

RaZ

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Paradise, MI
Sure got cold overnight. Woke up to around 3 inches of snow. Just came in from plowing. Driveways are done and paths to the garage and coop. It's 100 feet to both coop and garage. On days like this I wish they were closer, like attached, closer. :) Hauling water out every day gets kind of old. But not too bad.
Anyway, it's a beautiful day out here in the woods. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Hope everyone stays warm.

Folly's place

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Very cold tonight! It's been a mild winter, and next Tuesday might hit 50F here! I guess 0F tonight is overdue?!
The chickens declined to go out in the new snow today, so they are locked in instead.
Mary

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
We got a couple-few inches last night, been spitting all day and lake effect machine is supposed to crank up overnight....as the temps continue to drop.
Dosed the birds with some rolled oats soaked in Sav-a-chick for a boost.

justincasei812

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Mid Michigan
Either you're very lucky or your run is predator proof.
Got pics?
Aart - Here’s a few pics, snows starting to get a little depth now. This spring I plan on moving everything and expand the run x2. The trench is in to bury the fencing but missed getting the old run out before everything froze.

Attachments

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Aart - Here’s a few pics, snows starting to get a little depth now.
Nice!
Run looks iffy with CW and 2x4......I'd say you've been lucky.
How many years?

What's on run roof....must be fun to get snow off there.

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

justincasei812

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Mid Michigan
Yeah I didn’t know when we started that CW wouldn’t keep out most predators. I added the 2x4 on the bottom after as an extra protection because that is what I had on hand. It will be five years this spring and yes I think we are very lucky so far. I did add some solar motion sensing lights around the perimeter. They are not the brightest but I am sure they have scared off a few animals at night?! Wanted to go deeper on the new run apron but too many roots so down 6” or so and it’s 8-10” wide. I had thought about putting some quickcreate (cement) in the apron before backfilling as well. For $15 for a couple of bags figure it can’t hurt. The roof has a few sheets of roof tin on it over the wire just to keep the snow out so the chickens will come outside. Seems to be working, but sux for letting the sunlight in.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Wanted to go deeper on the new run apron but too many roots so down 6” or so and it’s 8-10” wide. I had thought about putting some quickcreate (cement) in the apron before backfilling as well.
Better to go out(12-18") if you can't go farther down.
Concrete and mesh is redundant, mesh would be easier IMO.

Top Bottom