Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

ok, so I need to get shell peas or pod peas to plant? Are they sweet?
Depends on what you think of as "sweet." I'd say they are about as sweet as carrot, at least to me. Peas are sweeter when they are young and tender, but can lose much of that as they get more ripe.

I like snap peas that you eat shell and all. I can see about how ripe they are by how round the pod is, so I know when to pick them.

You can do the same thing with shell peas. The bigger the pod gets, the older the peas are, and the less sweet they become.

If you're going to plant peas, you can do it now. I usually plant peas the first of May, but earlier is fine.

Depends on what you think of as "sweet." I'd say they are about as sweet as carrot, at least to me. Peas are sweeter when they are young and tender, but can lose much of that as they get more ripe.

I like snap peas that you eat shell and all. I can see about how ripe they are by how round the pod is, so I know when to pick them.

You can do the same thing with shell peas. The bigger the pod gets, the older the peas are, and the less sweet they become.

If you're going to plant peas, you can do it now. I usually plant peas the first of May, but earlier is fine.
Hopefully I can find some in Muskegon Wagenmaker since I am heading there tomorrow morning. Wish me luck,lol

ok, so I need to get shell peas or pod peas to plant? Are they sweet? I do not want to eat the pod. I can get them out and cook them. Would it be the same as the can? Probably not but those are the only that I eat. I am a complete basket case,lol
None of them will be as sweet as the canned sweet peas unless you add sugar to them.

But tender young peas eaten minutes after you pick them are worth trying.

Try Dwarf Grey Sugar variety. It is a snow pea, if that helps you find the seeds in the store.

Then pick them when the peas are just starting to swell in the pods. They will go pretty fast once they start swelling. If you miss them (the peas get close to touching each other within the pod), pick them and feed them to the chickens and try again with later blossoms.

Then eat just the peas, not the pods. If you like them, you might want to try other variations.

ok, so I need to get shell peas or pod peas to plant? Are they sweet? I do not want to eat the pod. I can get them out and cook them. Would it be the same as the can? Probably not but those are the only that I eat. I am a complete basket case,lol
We really like Green Arrow for shelling peas. My mom used them and now we use them too. It's been 30-ish years for green arrow peas in my life. Little Marvel is a bit earlier than Green Arrow.

Back
Top Bottom