Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Trying to suck in the cool air while it's still cool here in the morning, and push the hot air out through the upstairs window via the fan.
It's nice since it really cools at night, but I've found that drawing cool humid air inside can backfire later in the day as the humidity seems to raise the yuk feeling of any warmth left and gathering in the house during the day.

Trying to suck in the cool air while it's still cool here in the morning, and push the hot air out through the upstairs window via the fan. I really prefer this method of cooling the house to having the ac unit in the window.

Tomorrow is a plant sale in Belding. I hope to get some clumps of daisies before they're all gone; I'm told the good things go fast. I'm trying to get bee-friendly plants established here.

We have some already that I didn't know they liked. They like oak pollen, and we have that in excess, as it was all over the cars. They like lilac and redbud, and we have some of those too. By "we," I mean within their flying distance, so some of the plants are on the neighbor's property.
I was always told they will fly 1-2 miles. I encourage lots of "weeds" to grow. Milkweed, white clover, dandelions, patches of golden rod, various asters, and then there are the raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.

I also air the house out at night. While humidity can be a issue, having a ceiling fan really makes everything plenty comfortable. No AC here, as we usually only need that about a week out of the year, and that is a big expense compared to breaking out a few extra fans.

Dreamz, a good fan that moves the air around the coop will make your birds much cooler, and helps with bugs too. In addition to shade, plenty of water, and space to move away from each other, they should be fine. If your run is very sunny a shade cloth (at least 50% blocking) makes all the difference, as does spraying down the ground inside the run.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shade+cl...&sprefix=shade+cloth,aps,276&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I know about the chickens. They have a fan in the coop and another fan in the run. I on the other hand, my ac hasn't stopped barely in days and still turn the window one in my room at night. I cannot sleep less it's 62.
But took advantage of a cloudy morning and put at least 31 tomatoe seedlings down.
20230602_175847.jpg

My big Erminette hen is broody again this year, and does not want to break. She is the only broody I've had that did not loose weight when not allowed to sit - she must eat a ton when I toss her off the nest each day. Last night I moved her to the small coop, and she is not sure she wants to stay there, but has been sitting some. I also moved the bantam Speckled Sussex hens (2) and a cockerel from last year. Lots of angst in the little coop/run!

The sky has been yellow with haze and the faint smell of smoke, the air quality is poor from the fires in Nova Scotia. Plans for working outside all weekend are off the table, my lungs just can't take it. I did do a deep water on all the gardens, as we have not had even a drop of rain for weeks, nor is it in the near forecast. And temps in the 80's - Strange weather for sure.

Back
Top Bottom