Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

EverMystique1,
I have a broody too. I keep having to kick her off the eggs. It will be nice in the spring if she can hatch some chicks for me! I have BO and Isa Browns, but I want RIR in the spring. Maybe I can get some fertile eggs from a local BYC member in spring, and let her hatch.

DH and I let our breeders have all sorts of fun. If they are off the nest, we try to bring just a few of the eggs inside to the incubator. And only because these itty bitty idiots think they cannot possibly nest on anything less than 15 eggs. Silly fools. 1 mama let all of her babes get eaten by predators. This nest is being left completely to nature though, as we have packed away the bator for the season, and I really want a few weeks of not having chicks making noise in my living room. Lol.

We originally had 4 breeder hens. Now, due to the hatches and predators, I believe last head check was 8 or 10 hens free ranging with my stud Roo. We still have to finish culling the egg laying flock, too. That poor coop and run is currently home to 42 birds, and 8 are soon going in the grow out pen.

EverMystique1,
I feel so new with chickens compared to you and the rest here. We got our first chicks ever in April. We are down to 24 after starting with 27. A hawk got 2 hens, and an aggressive roo went to camp. We only have one coop, but plan on more coops in spring, maybe tractors.
This experience with chickens has been great (except for township ordinance part) we hope to get goats and bunnies too :)
I'm glad I have you guys with more experience for advice! I'm glad for new guys too, it makes this whole experience better for everyone.

I know that I don't post often...well rarely, however I do follow and learn. I came across this and thought immediately of everyone here that may appreciate this.

Hope to see some of you at Fowl Fest Saturday. Anyone? Also, I've still got Belgian d'Uccle bantam males to go, and one black Ameracauna cockrel. Mary
Hi Mary,

Brett and I would like to go! I would like to see the Chante's there to get an idea of how Pearl conforms to the breed. She is very pretty :). When are you going on Saturday?

Where and when is fowl fest? I would like to go
I think. Never been
This weekend-the largest poultry show and exhibit in Mi-that's what it claims anyways. This will bge my first time attending and the weather looks great Sat. It says it's at the Birch Run Expo Center, I still have to get directions. Sat 7am-5pm and Sun. 7am-10am FREE admission. If you look up 2013 Fall Fowl Fest, you might get some more info, I had seen a flyer.

My hogs are doing good. Got 4 of a year old males butchered for us and customers. Everyone loved the meat!
droolin.gif

Great for you!
I made lots of butter too. Made it with my mom's Ninja food chopper. It only took 2 minutes to do it!!! Loved it!

Each cube of butter is the same amount as a stick of butter you get from the store.
Looks delish, wish I had a goat or cow so I could learn to make butter. Maybe next yr. Good job!!!

Back
Top Bottom