Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I have a friend who feeds/shelters feral cats. She said if you put sugar in their water, it freezes slower...and gives them a boost of sugar in the cold. Just wondered if anyone does it? I did it last night for the first time and they seemed to love it. Not real sure it made the water freeze slower.

Funny how well it seems you know me! LOL Ok, please post some brands and model #s, ok?
smile.png

Acu-rite is the brand. The model number is 00607DI. The anemometer (wind speed indicator) has the cups positioned horizontally.
I don't remember what the price was. I think I found it at Menards.

This is a LaCrosse, model WS-1912U-IT. The anemometer has cups positioned vertically. I have it mounted on the peak of the garage and the snow drifted enough to stop it from turning. There is no inside reading. The quality of this unit is somewhat less than the Acu-rite. Available at Meijer.

LaCrosse model WS-9160U-IT. No humidity reading on this unit. Just inside and outside temperature. In this case, the outside temperature is inside the coop. I have a separate hygrometer (humidity) in the coop. Also available at Meijer.
For my birthday, I would like one of the weather stations that monitor all of the above plus rain fall. They have some really nice ones that record to your computer. That's what I want.
big_smile.png

That's wonderful that you adopted them! Most people wouldn't adopt a feral cat. Our kitty adopted us when she was a young lil girl. She showed up on our deck one day in the cold and has been with us ever since. She knew I was a sucker for animals...
wee.gif
Same with our kitty! My kids were in the back and she walked out of the corn field towards them
love.gif
...she was only 3 wks!! A little orange tabby. She has been the mud room in the cold weather

Last edited:
Quote:Originally Posted by glynnhoo I haven't done it, but thought about it as well. I've used it on chicks that weren't doing as well as their siblings to encourage them to learn to eat and drink, it worked well and gave them lots of pep. Idk any harm, if it's not too much and isn't long-term. Long term you might cause an imbalance in their gut.

My house hen died in the early hours of the morning. Whoever posted the info on the necropsy/ lab testing, could you be kind enough to post it again? This is so very upsetting. How much does it cost and how long do you have to get them in? She started stiffening a little before i got her in the fridge. Would that ruin the test? I was so upset and not thinking clear.

I saw her eating just fine day before yesterday, seemed a little slower and "off" but when i had taken her and her mate out they proceeded to poop very nicely on my carpet. Previously she'd been eating like a horse with her stools a little on the large and loose side, but i switched to a lower protein one in the event her or my other ee out in the coop had been getting too much protein. Even not eating should have taken longer to kill, 3 days usually but it was only one day of not eating and pure milky water poop. Her mate is distraught and not wanting to eat now. He ate last night when i flipped the light on to get her, but now he knows she's gone he's sitting there making crying sounds. The pair housed below them is also hale and hearty; her mate is hale and hearty. She died bright and clear eyed, red combed, shiny feathers. I got her around the time of the 2012 chickenstock, and she lived outside her first winter just fine with the ee flock. This year i brought both pairs of d'uccles inside. She's too young for "old age" and weather couldn't have been a factor.

My outside flock is doing great, the temp in there was 10 when i read it. Baby bird is still running around and seems healthy. Breathing a little "heavy" but they don't have any discharges, rattles, or foamy eyes. All are bright eyed and bright combed. I forgot to flip my diarrhea ee over to see her bottom, but day before yesterday she let me see her poop a normal poop. (Only bird i have that is finicky about anyone seeing her poop) Even henry's pointy buttercup comb is still on the mend and hasn't suffered any damage.

Last edited:
My house hen died in the early hours of the morning. Whoever posted the info on the necropsy/ lab testing, could you be kind enough to post it again? This is so very upsetting. How much does it cost and how long do you have to get them in? She started stiffening a little before i got her in the fridge. Would that ruin the test? I was so upset and not thinking clear.
sorry Fuzzy...
sad.png

MSU info by "SnowFlake":

Necropsy, at MSU cost around $80 1 to 6 birds. if you have some that seem sick you should take them in as well
I had some done a couple yrs ago, Dr. Fulton is great and does a wonderful job, is very helpful and will answer questions online,

Last edited:
That's the part that is upsetting and scaring me; there is no one else in the flock that has symptoms even close to hers. Even my ee roo that had the diarrhea this summer and died had it for months first, and when i thought about it more clearly the look of it was different. too. His was watery yellow, then bright green of liver failure. Hers was milky urine, not the chalky white that i've seen in poop charts.

Same with our kitty! My kids were in the back and she walked out of the corn field towards them
love.gif
...she was only 3 wks!! A little orange tabby. She has been the mud room in the cold weather.
We got a cat like that once. It ran away (actually, it probably got hit by a car) after being with us for about 6 mon. to a year.

Back
Top Bottom