Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I think someone here had decent luck placing the aquarium heaters directly above the nipples (flat on the bottom of the plastic container they were using) and it kept the nipples from icing up. I plan on using windows to allow morning sun to help heat the coop, so hopefully temps would get above freezing by day. Will take a bit of trial and error and observation to figure out what will work for me.

Wow, it actually is starting to feel like it might be spring after all. 4am and 45 degrees. That definitely is a spring like temperature. Now if the stupid snow would quite coming maybe we could totally lose all the piles of snow I have everywhere.

One thing for sure, April definitely is a wet and muddy month with very little to say for it accept the every rising temperatures. Everything look gray and sodden. Still too wet and too cold to get much accomplished out of doors. Yet it still is far more acceptable than ice and snow.

Wow, it actually is starting to feel like it might be spring after all. 4am and 45 degrees. That definitely is a spring like temperature. Now if the stupid snow would quite coming maybe we could totally lose all the piles of snow I have everywhere.

One thing for sure, April definitely is a wet and muddy month with very little to say for it accept the every rising temperatures. Everything look gray and sodden. Still too wet and too cold to get much accomplished out of doors. Yet it still is far more acceptable than ice and snow.

Correct my friend! Hurry up old man winter and move on out!

Dear Miss Spring, I really would love it if you came because I just so want to get started on my new coop!!!!

I think this is why I did'nt arrange for my new chicks to come until the end of April. :) Maybe it was good planning?

someone ****** off the spring nazi?

Actually, temps are improving... there is still hope for warmer weather.!

Maple syrup makers......... do you have to process the sap as soon as you get it? Can you freeze it to collect more before making a batch of syrup? or to hold onto for when you have the time to cook it?

called on the meeting in Stanton $55. for individuals
Yup Tucker is a sweet boy, is getting pretty good with the chickens.
smile.png

I think the horizontal nipples are less likely to freeze up.

That guy who posted in the last couple days used the horizontal, a pump to keep water mixed up and an aquarium heater...which also might keep the water warmer, but I don't think he ever measured the water temp.

Yep that guy was me. It worked GREAT!!

No I never measured the temp except with my finger. The water was always luke warm no matter the day/time/temp outside. I loved it.

The heater is an aquarium one from Walmart for $14.97 and a fountain pump to keep circulating the water from Harbor Freight for $6. These horizontal nipples never freeze for me - and my coop didn't have any heat or lights all winter!!! We live just about 3 miles from Lake Michigan in West Michigan. Many nights were in the negative teens, with highs only in the low 20's for about 3 weeks straight.

Here are the instructions on how to make my bucket waterer:
5 gallon waterer (heated for winter too):
http://goo.gl/j50hYW

Last edited:
Are there any mills near Grand Rapids that sell feed? Right now I buy Purina pellets but I would really prefer to support a local operation if there is one. Thanks!

I second that question but I live west of GR by the lake.

I know that Groenink's in Nunica does. They sell scratch 50# for $8.77 and Layer Mash (17% protein) 50# for $10.29.

Back
Top Bottom