Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Morning, all - just wanted to pop in real quick & tell y'all to be careful on your drive out if you're coming to Chickenstock in Lansing.

Sam....very sorry to hear you're not attending this year! Will miss you, Faith, and Granny & was hoping to chat, but let's catch up soon!

Thanks, Cindy, for calling numbers! I think we'll start immediately after lunch.

Last call for tables...I think we may still need some table, so anyone who has a spare one they can bring, please do so!

Also, I may need some help hanging tarps for the presentation - anyone planning to arrive early, please look me up if you can lend a hand! I should be there no later than 9:30.

Lastly - my beautiful, very old, very large Catalpa tree is in full bloom....to me, there is almost nothing akin to that wonderful smell. Anyone else with Catalpa in bloom? I would love to plant more of these trees. Need to look into that.

Oops! Forgot to mention a reminder that Dr. Mick Fulton, head of the Poultry Sciences Dept. at MSU, will be speaking on common poultry diseases at 10:30 at Chickenstock tomorrow! Please attend if you are able!

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm a newbie checking in, from Midland Michigan. I'm also new to chicken keeping. I have 12, so far. 4 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Black Star (Black Sex-Links). They're all about 16 weeks old now and growing like weeds. I've lurked here for many months and have learned so much. Just thought I would take the plunge and start posting. :)

Thanks, Tracy

Hello all, I'm a newbie checking in, from Midland Michigan. I'm also new to chicken keeping. I have 12, so far. 4 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Black Star (Black Sex-Links). They're all about 16 weeks old now and growing like weeds. I've lurked here for many months and have learned so much. Just thought I would take the plunge and start posting. :)

Thanks, Tracy
Welcome Tracy! If you can make Chickenstock it's at Delta Mills Park, Lansing tomorrow 10-3.

Lastly - my beautiful, very old, very large Catalpa tree is in full bloom....to me, there is almost nothing akin to that wonderful smell. Anyone else with Catalpa in bloom? I would love to plant more of these trees. Need to look into that.
I love them also and have several on my property, one is a magnificent specimen growing out on its own so a full, naturally shaped crown.
Yep, it's in bloom now. Here's a pic from another year.

Any southwest Michiganders who would be interested in taking in a couple golden laced polish boys? They are about 11 weeks old and one of them has really nice lacing (I thought he was a hen until he suddenly started crowing and grew a pair of wattles). They are brothers from he same hatch and so far they seem to get along swimmingly. Unfortunately, they love to have crowing contests and we have really close neighbors on both sides who will not be thrilled if their serenades continue. I'm kinda bummed because they are the only golden laced polish that I got in a straight run and both are cockerels. I paid a decent amount for them as chicks, but I would be willing to rehome them for free if it would save their fluffy little heads from the chopping block. Maybe someone with kids in 4H need a nice rooster to show?

This one we called Ronnie. The pink thing on his neck is a soft headband in an attempt to hush him up. It worked for a couple days, but he moved it to a place that allows him to continue crowing again and I just haven't taken the time to pull it off of him.

This one is Travis. He is very pretty with nice lacing for a rooster. He is also becoming very good at his cock-a-doodle-doo, so unfortunately he can't stay :(

I love them also and have several on my property, one is a magnificent specimen growing out on its own so a full, naturally shaped crown. Yep, it's in bloom now. Here's a pic from another year.
I have a massive catalpa tree in full bloom right now. It looks as if my yard us covered with cotton balls from all the blossoms falling from the tree. It's really pretty, but I'm afraid we are going to lose it soon as it is a good 50-60 feet high and almost hollow with animals living inside. I'm afraid of it coming down in a storm on our neighbor's house across the street.

Welcome Tracy! I'm pretty new here myself and these people are great!
Bawkinghen, those birds are beautiful! If I didn't think I already had too many roos (3/5 it is looking like), I would welcome them. :)

That tree is beautiful, too. I might have to look into getting one. Too many pine trees around here for my liking.

Hi Tracy, glad you joined in.

Dr. Fulton is a great speaker, very informative, and always open to questions. This is a great opportunity to hear an expert expound on poultry health.

Hope you all have a great time tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom