Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

tntchix, yep! butterflies are plentiful up near us also. Mason County Area between Ludington and Manistee. The humming birds were busy for awhile also but seem to have tapered off after their hatches and spring mating. Deer fawn count is good and are starting to see more and more does show up in the backyard feeding on the corn we put out. Wood ticks were really bad at the start of season along with mosquitos, but seems okay now as fall starts to approach. Mosquitos still bad at night and early morning. Our chickens are loving the bugs! But not us.:/

tntchix, yep! butterflies are plentiful up near us also. Mason County Area between Ludington and Manistee. The humming birds were busy for awhile also but seem to have tapered off after their hatches and spring mating. Deer fawn count is good and are starting to see more and more does show up in the backyard feeding on the corn we put out. Wood ticks were really bad at the start of season along with mosquitos, but seems okay now as fall starts to approach. Mosquitos still bad at night and early morning. Our chickens are loving the bugs! But not us.
hmm.png

Yeah not much to do about those things. LOL

Well, I have an awesome zucchini bread recipe, turn those mailboxes into loaves of deliciousness!

For about the last 4 nights or so, like clockwork, we have had the "wonderful" aroma of skunk outside our house. So we're thinking we have yet another non rent paying, freeloading, animal living on the premises. We're guessing either under our porch, or under the hot tub. We have 3 live traps that we keep set up out by the meat chicken's pen that we will bring up & place in various places around the porch/tub. But what should we bait it with for a skunk? Is there anything that works more amazing than another?
Peanut Butter for the skunk.

Hot Tub? I can see it now. Skunk joins the after party? Better get that sucker before she gets you. Oh yeah, did I mention it's probably mom and her huge family of rug-skunks...

Our chickens have been pecking each others feathers out, and one of our Wyandottes has a lot of tail feathers missing.
What should we do?
Just a few picts from Washington! I didn't want to come back. It was so nice....... Hardly any mosquitoes...no humidity! Need to go back to see more of Mt. Ranier and San Juan Island!
Silly, those are some beautiful pictures! Our family is taking a trip up to the U.P. next week. We sure are excited about that, but we hate leaving our chickens :(

The Dixie Chick, - Just read a magazine article in regards to the feather problem. Feathers are made up of keratin, a protein nutrient not in your daily feed ration most likely. Check the protein level of your feed and see if it meets sufficient standards a bird needs. Tough habit to break. Especially when the food is right in front of them.:/

For about the last 4 nights or so, like clockwork, we have had the "wonderful" aroma of skunk outside our house.  So we're thinking we have yet another non rent paying, freeloading, animal living on the premises.  We're guessing either under our porch, or under the hot tub.  We have 3 live traps that we keep set up out by the meat chicken's pen that we will bring up & place in various places around the porch/tub.  But what should we bait it with for a skunk?  Is there anything that works more amazing than another?  
I've always used chicken carcasses left from their previous kill, they do like corn and grains too. Be very careful that they don't get into your chicken pens because they will kill and eat your birds. I mostly just wait until a little after dusk, shine with a flash light near our cattle's feed bunk , and shoot them. I hate trying to get the skunk out of trap, they spray regardless of a bullet to the head and the trap smells for months.

So we put the live trap out last night, baited with peanut butter, and of course... no skunk smell. First night all week. Maybe it left, or maybe tonight will be the lucky night. Though I heard skunks can be sneaky about getting trapped. Not that I'd know because that's one we've never trapped before. Oh, and... DH would get to deal with any 'skunk in a trap' situation. I told him that if we do trap one, that I'm sorry, but I'm too busy running an errand in town to help. I wasn't sure what errand, but I'm positive there would be something I would just have to do.
wink.png
LOL. I sure hope we get this skunk before it meets up with one of our dogs.

And, LOVE the mountain pics BTW.

Raz was supposed to serve 30 days, i think.
B.S. to serve time for an ordinance violation. Only way i'd go to that city would be to protest just outside the city line. Sounds like a horrible place!

Back
Top Bottom