Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I got a rooster. But not your traditional rooster. I had to remove my head hens for bumble foot surgery, and my hen Rebel started acting all dominate. From what I heard, she started crowing after I left this morning, I wondered what they horrible noise was when I was leaving lol.

Her name fits

She rebels against being held, she rebels against the hen rules, she rebels against going into the coop at night, now she will probably rebel against egg laying *sigh*

I got a rooster. But not your traditional rooster. I had to remove my head hens for bumble foot surgery, and my hen Rebel started acting all dominate. From what I heard, she started crowing after I left this morning, I wondered what they horrible noise was when I was leaving lol.

Her name fits

She rebels against being held, she rebels against the hen rules, she rebels against going into the coop at night, now she will probably rebel against egg laying *sigh*
read about this,never had it happen
lau.gif

Her name fits

Turns out the offended is one of my bantam polish hens Marian. She used to crow when she was younger lol

Rebel, you are safe :p

What will I do with you Marian? :rolleyes:

turns out i can't legally have chickens on my property, i've only got 3 acres. and even if i had five i couldn't have the rooster. figure i'm ok though, the only complaint we've gotten from a neighbor was when we butchered our first roo. the neighbor actually missed hearing him. the neighbor is a little weird. it is also likely that no one realizes we only have 3 acres, since everyone else on the road has more than that.

poor guy down the street with goat was not so lucky. confounded politics.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/08/judge_to_decide_fate_of_richla.html

Does anyone have any suggestions for me.  I've been trying to introduce my 2 new hens to the rest of the flock.  They do free range together but the new ones seem to keep their distance.  They go in by themselves at night but always roost in the run.  We need them to start roosting with the others in the coop considering winter is on it's way.  For the past week I've been moving them myself from the roost in the run to the coop with the rest of them.  Tonight when I moved them the other ones kept pecking at them.  I have decided in the next couple days to remove the roost from the run so they won't have anywhere else to roost but in the coop.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I have also locked the coop up at night so they can't get out but that doesn't seem to help with them going in by themselves.  I moved their food and water back into the coop and to be honest I'm not sure if they are eating.  We just switched them to laying feed to give you an idea of their size, they are just as big as the others at this point.  Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

I had the same problem on a bit bigger scale. I introduced 8 RIR's that are seven weeks younger than the rest of the flock. The new girls absolutely would not go in at night, they would roost in the run all night. As I've said elsewhere on the forums I don't live at the farm and my poop door opens and closes automatically. I had thoughts of catching all of the new girls and forcing them into the coop and locking them in but decided to let them do it on their own. They have started roosting in the coop over the past week or so. I think what helped urge them is the fact that I built a new roosting area on the other side of the coop just for them. Good luck, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have found that just about everything chickens do is instinctive. If you close the coop at a certain time every night they will be sure to be in on time.

turns out i can't legally have chickens on my property, i've only got 3 acres. and even if i had five i couldn't have the rooster. figure i'm ok though, the only complaint we've gotten from a neighbor was when we butchered our first roo. the neighbor actually missed hearing him. the neighbor is a little weird. it is also likely that no one realizes we only have 3 acres, since everyone else on the road has more than that.

poor guy down the street with goat was not so lucky. confounded politics.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/08/judge_to_decide_fate_of_richla.html

I'm afraid it's only going to get worse for a lot of people.

Her name fits

I have a polish named styles

Had one of my little brats try to sit right on my head tonight. I was in the tractor adjusting a feeder right when they were getting ready to roost and she was already up there on the roost, which is over my head, and I'm 6'4". Anyways, I'm standing back up and all of a sudden she comes done right on my head. Glad I was wearing a hat. I don't have much hair left and I've already got a few scars there that are no longer covered by hair.

Back
Top Bottom