Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in quite a while...busy with fair, then back to school, and then just life I guess.

I have a question regarding hunting. While we don't currently hunt, we have nothing against it. Yesterday morning, DH noticed something shiny up in a tree in the fence row of the pasture. I thought maybe it was one of those mylar balloons and did not want it to come down and something get ahold of it. After church we walked out to see what we could find. Our discovery was a tree stand. It is in a tree about 10 ft into the neighbor's property but facing our pasture. We have a good suspicion of whose it is as a year ago spring we had someone come to the door who wanted to plant a food plot in our pasture. He said he had permission to hunt on the land next to ours. I told him no and that our property was posted no hunting/no trespassing. He was what I would call "aggressive". I was uncomfortable in the situation and I am not really a shrinking violet :) After, a number of our signs went missing on that side of the property and which we have since replaced.

After we discovered the tree stand, DH went to the neighbor who owns the property, but couldn't get anyone to come to the door. We called DNR today to get their take on the situation and they just said if he trespasses, call them. With kids, dogs, and animals all actively using the pasture, we do not want anyone trespassing, let alone hunting on our property. I am concerned that if he is someone who will ignore our verbal "no" and posted "no", he is probably someone who wouldn't think twice about taking a shot at a dog or animal. Not trying to be dramatic, but rather a realist.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on any other actions we should be taking. We will continue to attempt to make contact with the neighbor.

If you can afford a game cam I would set it up aimed down the property line. Keep a check on it. Here even if you shoot on your own property it is still considered illegal to retrieve without permission. So if a shooting window is FACING your field I'd also aim the camera at that window and if a gun is shown out that window then you have evidence for DNR, Police or to take to the neighbor. Photo proof is the best thing.

Also here the blind can be right on the property line and be legal but they may not shoot across the line without permission.

Of course you could do any kind of farming or whatever activity on your own property during the legal hunting times or set up your own "blind" even if all you do is sit and "film wildlife" . As long as you don't harass the hunter on the other property.

Another option is a 'live' fence in that area.

Hmmm. I thought the rule was that any hunting spot within 150yds of someone's property required notification of the owner. I had a case 3 or 4 years ago where a young man put his pop-up blind right next to my property (& incidentally the direction I would shoot when I hunt!). Anyhow...he came to my door asking if it was okay, his line of fire was on the property adjacent. I told him no problem & also let him know he was welcome on our land if need be to track, BUT to please let me know any time he planned to hunt there so WE didn't shoot that way!

Ok. Maybe TMI, but I agree with bluebirdnanny on maybe getting some video evidence. And, also check on that 150yd deal ...I may be totally off there or maybe that's area specific. Unfortunately looks like you may need to involve the police/sheriff...

Argh...just remembered..think that 150yd "rule" is 150yds of a house/structure ..oops...
(Which was the case here In my long story above ;))

Last edited:
When my father passed 7 years ago his ashes were interred in the Kentucky Veterans Cemetery just outside of Fort Campbell. At the time that seemed like the best thing to do and Granny could be placed with him when her time comes.

However, four months later it was necessary for Granny to come to live with us. It would take about 12 hours to take Granny to his grave site, a trip she isn't physically able to do. Recently when she mentioned how she wished he wasn't so far away I investigated the possibility of having him moved.

As it turned out it would be relatively easy and the retired first sergeant at the cemetery couldn't have been more helpful. Pappy's cremains and the marble marker are being mailed to me. When I said I would send money once knew the cost, the First Sergeant said he would pay for it out of his pocket and I could reimburse him.

The cost to mail the cremains and the marble marker came to $240. Quite an outlay based solely on trusting your fellow man. I have immediately sent the funds along with enough extra for him to take his wife out for a real nice dinner. His act of kindness and trust confirms that there are still nice people in this world.

As soon as possible I will have Pappy interred in Great Lakes National Cemetery and Granny will be happier knowing he lies near.

Last edited:
When my father passed 7 years ago his ashes were interred in the Kentucky Veterans Cemetery just outside of Fort Campbell. At the time that seemed like the best thing to do and Granny could be placed with him when her time comes.

However, four months later it was necessary for Granny to come to live with us. It would take about 12 hours to take Granny to his grave site, a trip she isn't physically able to do. Recently when she mentioned how she wished he wasn't so far away I investigated the possibility of having him moved.

As it turned out it would be relatively easy and the retired first sergeant at the cemetery couldn't have been more helpful. Pappy's cremains and the marble marker are being mailed to me. When I said I would send money once knew the cost, the First Sergeant said he would pay for it out of his poket and I could reimburse him.

The cost to mail the cremains and the marble marker came to $240. Quite an outlay based solely on trusting your fellow man. I have immediately sent the funds along with enough extra for him to take his wife out for a real nice dinner. His act of kindness and trust confirms that there are still nice people in this world.

As soon as possible I will have Pappy interred in Great Lakes National Cemetery and Granny will be happier knowing he lies near.
Kindness begets kindness, my friend and you deserve quite a lot.
love.gif

Hi everyone!  I haven't posted in quite a while...busy with fair, then back to school, and then just life I guess.
My understanding is that the blind cannot face your property for shooting without permission. Last year we pressed charges on a neighbor for discharging his weapon violating safety zone, and he got probation and a 30 day suspended jail sentence. There is more to that story, but yeah. Its illegal to shoot onto another person's property. I too strongly encourage a trail cam. A picture is worth a thousand words!!!
I have a question regarding hunting.  While we don't currently hunt, we have nothing against it.  Yesterday morning, DH noticed something shiny up in a tree in the fence row of the pasture.  I thought maybe it was one of those mylar balloons and did not want it to come down and something get ahold of it.  After church we walked out to see what we could find.  Our discovery was a tree stand.  It is in a tree about 10 ft into the neighbor's property but facing our pasture.  We have a good suspicion of whose it is as a year ago spring we had someone come to the door who wanted to plant a food plot in our pasture.  He said he had permission to hunt on the land next to ours.  I told him no and that our property was posted no hunting/no trespassing. He was what I would call "aggressive".  I was uncomfortable in the situation and I am not really a shrinking violet :)  After, a number of our signs went missing on that side of the property and which we have since replaced.

After we discovered the tree stand, DH went to the neighbor who owns the property, but couldn't get anyone to come to the door.  We called DNR today to get their take on the situation and they just said if he trespasses, call them.  With kids, dogs, and animals all actively using the pasture, we do not want anyone trespassing, let alone hunting on our property.  I am concerned that if he is someone who will ignore our verbal "no" and posted "no", he is probably someone who wouldn't think twice about taking a shot at a dog or animal.  Not trying to be dramatic, but rather a realist.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on any other actions we should be taking.  We will continue to attempt to make contact with the neighbor.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my reply in the prior post is somehow in the middle of the quoted post.
Sorry, I'd fix it if I knew how...

Does anyone use light for egg production through the winter? I have "daytime" LED lights that come on at 3:00 AM until 7:00 AM when the door opens up to the run and it is naturally daylight. This is the first winter for the girls and it doesn't look like they are going to molt. Should I keep the lights going or just leave it up to Mother Nature? I'm new at this but selling the eggs to help pay for the feed really helps. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in quite a while...busy with fair, then back to school, and then just life I guess.

I have a question regarding hunting. While we don't currently hunt, we have nothing against it. Yesterday morning, DH noticed something shiny up in a tree in the fence row of the pasture. I thought maybe it was one of those mylar balloons and did not want it to come down and something get ahold of it. After church we walked out to see what we could find. Our discovery was a tree stand. It is in a tree about 10 ft into the neighbor's property but facing our pasture. We have a good suspicion of whose it is as a year ago spring we had someone come to the door who wanted to plant a food plot in our pasture. He said he had permission to hunt on the land next to ours. I told him no and that our property was posted no hunting/no trespassing. He was what I would call "aggressive". I was uncomfortable in the situation and I am not really a shrinking violet :) After, a number of our signs went missing on that side of the property and which we have since replaced.

After we discovered the tree stand, DH went to the neighbor who owns the property, but couldn't get anyone to come to the door. We called DNR today to get their take on the situation and they just said if he trespasses, call them. With kids, dogs, and animals all actively using the pasture, we do not want anyone trespassing, let alone hunting on our property. I am concerned that if he is someone who will ignore our verbal "no" and posted "no", he is probably someone who wouldn't think twice about taking a shot at a dog or animal. Not trying to be dramatic, but rather a realist.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on any other actions we should be taking. We will continue to attempt to make contact with the neighbor.

If you can afford a game cam I would set it up aimed down the property line. Keep a check on it. Here even if you shoot on your own property it is still considered illegal to retrieve without permission. So if a shooting window is FACING your field I'd also aim the camera at that window and if a gun is shown out that window then you have evidence for DNR, Police or to take to the neighbor. Photo proof is the best thing.

Also here the blind can be right on the property line and be legal but they may not shoot across the line without permission.

Of course you could do any kind of farming or whatever activity on your own property during the legal hunting times or set up your own "blind" even if all you do is sit and "film wildlife" . As long as you don't harass the hunter on the other property.

Another option is a 'live' fence in that area.
I would agree with the others here. Get a camera and start taking pictures. It might not hurt to have on an orange safety vest on, and set the cameras up around noon with plenty of daylight. it would be just that much more they could throw at the idiot if he was to take a shot. Gun season doesn't start until the 15th, so if he's out there, he should only be bow hunting. A bow has a lot less range than a gun, so you should easily be able to see if he's there before you're in range of that. And if he is there facing your land and getting huffy about you being out there during his "hunt", just wait until he leaves and set up some mylar balloons about 25 yards or so from the property line on your side of your property. That would be enough to make any deer scared of the area, and if he's dumb enough to trespass onto your property to remove the balloons, and you was to catch him doing it on a trail camera, then you would have a slam dunk case of trespassing on him. Ideally, the idiot would get the message and would figure out some other spot to hunt before it comes to that. Its so much easier if you don't have to take him court about it.

There are no laws that govern which way a tree stand can face nor the distance from a property line. Game laws do dictate the mandatory distance from a dwelling or road within which a firearm cannot be discharged

I have stands that because of the location of a suitable tree are located near my property lines. While they might be perceived by some as an intent to hunt another's land, I can assure you that I have never taken a deer from property on which I don't have legal access. I have however, shot deer after they came onto my land. Unless you own several hundred acres that provide all a deer needs such as cover, feed, water, etc it is going to travel many miles across the property of many landowners. Unless a deer is in a fenced enclosure, secured not only by wire but the requisite state permits, it is a wild deer that is owned by everyone in the state. A deer on one's property does not belong to them. However, access to that animal does belong to you while it is on your land.

To assume that someone intends to hunt another's land is rash. The location of a stand near your property does not cause you any harm but taking actions . disrupt the hunt of another is wrong. It could in fact place you in violation of state law that prohibits harassment of hunters. Unless that hunter comes onto your land, or shoots an animal on your land they are perfectly legal.

On properties next to mine others have located stands close to my property, those hunters know I will not allow them to hunt on my property but that I will allow them to retrieve an animal that came on my property and died. They like wise allow me access if the situation were reversed. I would advise not escalating the situation without truly knowing a problem exists.

Back
Top Bottom