Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I'm not sure if I want to keep up on the AI outbreaks or not. This year was the first time I have seen geese land on our property...and I proceeded to chase them off. :(. I don't want to be overly paranoid but I don't think they really have a true idea how it's spreading at this point. I'm also thinking eggs are going to be like gold if it continues spreading.

I know - I feel the same way Taprock. I have ducks and chickens so I'm trying hard not to freak out at every little sneeze! My ducks are diligent about chasing away intruder wild ducks but since they still aren't sure how this is passed . . . Yikes!

Last edited:
Almost forgot - here are some newbies to my flock.
Splash Marans (sex unknown yet), 2 Blue Copper Marans Pullets, and a Blue Copper cockerel

French Black Copper Marans cockerel. His 2 sibs wouldn't stay still long enough for a picture. All 3 have good coppering and decent leg feathering.

Last edited:
I got them all from Townline
Okay...just so you know, those are Easter Eggers. Hatcheries do not sell purebred Araucanas or Amerucanas - yes, it's deceitful. There is someone on CL right now in the Battlecreek area selling EEs as Amerucanas - they copied what was posted from the hatchery and either have no idea or don't care.

But, good news is they will lay lots of pretty eggs, unlike the purebreds that are bred for body type.

Enjoy them!

Okay...just so you know, those are Easter Eggers. Hatcheries do not sell purebred Araucanas or Amerucanas - yes, it's deceitful. There is someone on CL right now in the Battlecreek area selling EEs as Amerucanas - they copied what was posted from the hatchery and either have no idea or don't care.

But, good news is they will lay lots of pretty eggs, unlike the purebreds that are bred for body type.

Enjoy them!

x2 All my Araucanas or Ameracaunas came from Townline-always EE's! They are pretty blatant about the deceit too right in black and white in the catalog!
fl.gif
But overall, all my birds have been healthy, all from Townline for the past 8 yrs. (ok except for my one mail shipment, the extra chick died within24 hrs and one of my roos has had a dislocated hip from the start). All the rest (except 5 rescues) came from TSC by way of Townline.

Last edited:
Could you post a pic? Sounds like Mareks or vitamin deficiency/malabsorption. Is she really low in the order? How old is she and laying or not?
She's just over 7 weeks old right now.

I too thought immediately of Marek's disease. If there's any chance that it is Marek's, then it would be a very bad idea to take her anywhere close to the Raptor Center. Mareks is spread through feather dander, and they will not want to have any birds sick with a disease like that around the birds at the center.
well, I would have called them first. now not so much.

Many we should ask bigmrg74.
Has she been vaccinated against mareks disease?
Nope, I don't believe she's ever been vaccinated against that. Neither have her flock mates either. I bought them off of another poster here. My older girls I got from TSC. If I go out and get some mareks vaccinations tomorrow, will it be enough to protect those chickens?? And if those TSC chickens already got their vaccinations, its not going to hurt them any to get another dose?

Guess I'm taking care of a chicken tomorrow.

How exciting! Have fun with your babies. Yup the 25th of April and they will also have bunnies. Long time no hear, welcome back. I think a leashed bird would be great, better bring a wagon too. Hope the cancer is gone, its well worth the weight to get rid of cancer.
Ooh yay! I'm excited there will be buns there too...although my husband probably won't be! Lol! Where is the meet at? I'll be a wearing an ugly, too big bluish purple Columbia jacket and be followed by a small gaggle of children with another either on my hip or in a carrier on my back...probably the latter so I have my hand free. Yes! Weight is way better than cancer! I hope your next test results are good!
i shall be in my shirt... the shirts def....i was thinking about bringing my polish rooster and putting him on a leash....but people might think i was being mean....
Love the shirt! I think a chicken on a leash would be awesome. Lol Batty I think you and I live pretty close to eachother! I'm in Greenwood! Did I read correctly that you are in Emmett? I hope my ducks will be ok with the whole AI thing...we have 2 geese and 2 ducks that come to our pond occasionally...they never stay long, and if the ducks get too close the drakes chase them off. Oh and I found out what breed of ducks I have after some research! I was thinking I might have khaki Campbell's...but I have a breeding pair of Buffs! I have an Ancona Hen...and I feel so silly but so excited...a Silver Appleyard Drake!!!! I've always wanted Sulver Appleyards, but I'd only seen pictures of females! Then I have 5 Rouens...4 drakes and a hen...anyone interested in drakes? I could bring 3 with me. The Ancona and Silver Appleyard are a couple...so it'll be interesteling to hatch out some of this eggs! I plan to get more eggs from each though...or maybe just order ducklings...not sure yet. Does anyone have Guinea Keets (or, as a less preferable option...hatching eggs?) I' really like a half dozen or so guineas.

Oh! And I got my bator set up and finally got the temp going well, so I set 8 Isa Brown eggs this morning. I really want buff brahma's and Swedish flower hens, but any layers would be better than none right now an for $2.50 to test out my bator...can't beat it. :)

Back
Top Bottom