Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Annnddd my reason for popping in. I'm sorry to go here. But I do not like what I've read today. So I guess I wanted to ask you all if you are now doing anything extra or new in terms of your own Biosecurity plans. I'm concerned to read this today:
“Anybody that has a poultry operation — whether large or small, whether you've got hundreds of birds or one bird — this should be a wake-up call.”
Randy Olson, executive director of the Iowa Poultry Association
... But exactly what kind of wake-up call? I abhor those generalized statements like that, it offers no real guidance. And on the bright side, for me at least, looks like only chickens and turkeys. Here is the article in case yas have not seen it. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/21/iowa-bird-flu-outbreak/26113911/
Hey Holly! I've been wondering the same thing . . . since I have ducks and chickens (and waterfowl were mentioned in one of the articles, I think. Or maybe someone on here mentioned it . . .). I was planning on getting a few heritage turkeys this year, too. I'm extending fermenting their feed (I usually taper off and just supplement with dry once they have fresh spring forage) and have added garlic powder, extra vitamins/electrolytes to the mix. I don't know if it will help but it surely can't hurt, right? Beef up their immune systems as much as possible.

I'm adding to my egg pen.

Anyone near or around the alpena threw Oscoda area want to get rid of anything that lays an egg let me know.

Anything except roosters that is, lol. They only have two eggs and they don't give them up easily.

I can buy for the right price but I prefer barter and trade..

I plan to keep a closed flock and hope wild birds don't bring it in

no it does not hurt to revaccinate , it may or may not help. After we had Mareks on our property I went crazy I went crazy and vaccinated all the birds, even overdosed some. but non of the chicks that went to my daughters a few weeks later got sick.

it might be worth the try to vacc. chicks that have not been exposed to other birds I did that once and none of them got sick. I may have been lucky, but still would do it ....can't hurt.

sorry to hear about the cancer, hope it is completely gone
love.gif

I would set lamp just to be safe. why take a chance when you don't have to.
Hi, Amy, we missed you

TY! I hope it's all gone too!
smile.png

The chick has been culled. dug a hole out in the field for it and used the moment to bury a big rock that looks like its been hit by the plows a few times.

Think I will go to TSC later today to get the vaccines for the other chickens. can't hurt to give it too them.
2 TSC's and a family farm and home on that wild goose chase. Should have just ordered some online. 40 bucks just to ship the stuff.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom