Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I'm sure this is a dumb question. My chicks are 4 1/2 weeks old. They have gone several nights now with no heat and are fine and hang out in the coop all day. They are starting to escape constantly from where I keep them inside. I was going to start leaving them out all night. This is their coop
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put them in the enclosed part and shut them in for the night?
or do they just roam the whole area with no issues?

I'm sure this is a dumb question. My chicks are 4 1/2 weeks old. They have gone several nights now with no heat and are fine and hang out in the coop all day. They are starting to escape constantly from where I keep them inside. I was going to start leaving them out all night. This is their coop
or do they just roam the whole area with no issues?
They'll be safer locked in just the coop over night.

I agree, except you said that they can get out of the box themselves?  Your coop needs to be way more secure, or you will loose birds, especially at night. Mary:old

They can't get out of the outdoor coop. They are escaping from the makeshift brooder I have inside.
Thanks everyone. I'll make sure to shut them in the house section!

Yes, the venison steaks were so good! A lot more tender than I thought they'd be. Gail, the eggs are so beautiful. You are a very talented lady, and so sweet, too!

I lost my one rooster I was trying to rehome today. I had kept him inside last night because of the fighting, then let him out to roam this morning. I have a truck that we only drive on occasion to pickup materials for the house. I decided to go pickup the wood to build a frame for the chicken run. Apparently Chicken B (the rooster) was hanging out up under the truck, because about two miles down the road I looked in the rear view mirror and witnessed a chicken running across the road. I circled back as quick as I could, but never found him. We've actually been down in that area three times today looking for him. Definitely not the way I wanted to him to go. I've put a post out there on the local facebook page just in case someone finds him, but I imagine if he's still out there right now, a predator will get him tonight.

What a stupid problem to run into... To say I'm not embarrassed about this situation would be a complete lie. We even looked for him before we left, checking in the back of the truck, and under. I think he was just way up under (the truck is pretty high up) and we didn't see him.

Yep, had a good time yesterday...great visiting..

Not too chatty today...just got home from the vet about 2 hours ago..had to put our Rottie to sleep. I am beyond miserable right now...my first dog. Knew this was gonna be hard..knew this was coming (he's 13 years old).....but I was definitely not prepared ...I don't feel like doing anything but cry ..

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there..

Yep, had a good time yesterday...great visiting..

Not too chatty today...just got home from the vet about 2 hours ago..had to put our Rottie to sleep. I am beyond miserable right now...my first dog. Knew this was gonna be hard..knew this was coming (he's 13 years old).....but I was definitely not prepared ...I don't feel like doing anything but cry ..

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there..
:( nothing wrong with crying.

Condolences....

We know from the minute we let them into our hearts, that one day they will break them.

The joy we gain by loving them will, in time, once again outweigh the sadness they can bring to our lives.

Back
Top Bottom