Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Ivomectin I do the same as td, and was told by the vet there is no withdrawal time.

The nice warm weather :D has caused one of my girls to decide it was time to hatch some eggs. It took me three days of trying to follow her to find her hidden eggs. Last night after dark, I took a carrier, flashlight along with DH and flashlight to get her and move her somewhere safe. We had a stack of plywood and two small sheets had slipped off the back and made a tented area whe she was. DH lifted the first piece and I slid the second back to find egg shells and no Perry. I started looking for feathers or sign of a struggle when DH yells "skunk!" And takes off leaving me behind. Now my husband always teases so I didn't really believe him until I was left behind trying too jump stray lumber in the dark. Tearfully I'm digging through birds in the coop looking for Perry and happily she was in one. DH went to shoot the skunk but he was buried under too much to be able to get him out without being sprayed. So there will be no Christmas chicks, which I am ok with, and we still have a skunk running amok. At least I didn't get sprayed in the face!

Tap, there is no established withdrawal for Ivermectin in chickens. That does not mean there are not drug residues in meat and eggs. I remember a previous discussion in which a member was told that the Poultry expert would not personally hesitate to eat eggs from treated birds. That is not the same as no withdrawal, that is a personal decision. For example, it has an estimated withdrawal of over 50 days in dairy cattle (residue was still detected at 42 days in milk), estimated because it is not approved for use on lactating cattle.

Tap, there is no established withdrawal for Ivermectin in chickens. That does not mean there are not drug residues in meat and eggs. I remember a previous discussion in which a member was told that the Poultry expert would not personally hesitate to eat eggs from treated birds. That is not the same as no withdrawal, that is a personal decision. For example, it has an estimated withdrawal of over 50 days in dairy cattle (residue was still detected at 42 days in milk), estimated because it is not approved for use on lactating cattle.
I was there for that expert's comments (veterinarian, btw)...he said that there is less in the eggs than a dosage that is used for head lice on humans (ivermectin) so I am also guessing he has had the eggs analysed...if not formally, then informally.

thank you for the info, I thought I had used it topically. Ivermec is used in humans and there for has no withdrawal . I have read several articles stating that it is best to use ivermec venbendazole and valbazen on a rotating bases, fall,spring then next fall. all though I use the eggs from ivermecton, I do not sell them as you do not know the allergeys others may have.

Tap, I am glad you didn't get sprayed in the face, that would not be pleasant !!,, years ago my sisterinlaw went out to feed her hens right before leaving for work, and got sprayed had to go to work smelling like a skunk, we worked together at the time, (mail carriers,) good thing we were outside most of the time

lol.png
Opa, I have those same socks, still don't know how it happened, woke up one morning and there those wrinkles were

Thinking really hard about making a trip to Kansas City in 2 weeks. My college, Grand Valley State made it to the semifinals in the NCAA Division 2 championship next weekend and the rest of us Lakers think we stand a pretty good shot at getting to see just how nice of a stadium the Sporting Kansas City has.
yippiechickie.gif
Just that pesky thing of getting off from work and finding somebody to roadtrip with, as its very unlikely Amy could get those days off with such short notice.
sickbyc.gif

Ivomectin I do the same as td, and was told by the vet there is no withdrawal time.

The nice warm weather
big_smile.png
has caused one of my girls to decide it was time to hatch some eggs. It took me three days of trying to follow her to find her hidden eggs. Last night after dark, I took a carrier, flashlight along with DH and flashlight to get her and move her somewhere safe. We had a stack of plywood and two small sheets had slipped off the back and made a tented area whe she was. DH lifted the first piece and I slid the second back to find egg shells and no Perry. I started looking for feathers or sign of a struggle when DH yells "skunk!" And takes off leaving me behind. Now my husband always teases so I didn't really believe him until I was left behind trying too jump stray lumber in the dark. Tearfully I'm digging through birds in the coop looking for Perry and happily she was in one. DH went to shoot the skunk but he was buried under too much to be able to get him out without being sprayed. So there will be no Christmas chicks, which I am ok with, and we still have a skunk running amok. At least I didn't get sprayed in the face!

Oh wow! I'm glad you didn't get sprayed!

An Olive Egger rooster we plan on breeding from in 2016. Americauna x Black Copper Maran.

I just wanted to share some pictures of my second generation of my Jill Rees Cream Legbars. My first generation, I culled about 2/3 of the 28 birds I got and still had some big things to work on. Generation two is showing a lot of progress. Here's a cockerel and two pullets that are about 6 months old. I'm really happy with how their tail angles are coming down and their backs are longer.

For comparison, here is a rooster from generation one whose back is incredibly short and whose tail angle is much higher than I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom