Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I need some help!! We have 6 happy hens and 2 pekin ducks. Our coop is set back a good 265 feet from our house, we have no running water in our coop and no electricity (we put up solar panels for a light but no luck). My problem is carting my water to my coop every other day on the tractor, the water has been freezing solid and I broke or sprained my pointer finger knuckle trying to break my pvc pipe from my 5 gallon water jug. Does anyone have any tips or good waterers that won't freeze, would like to keep water in the coop but my ducks like to knock it down...HELP!!
Black rubber bowls from FF&H or TSC. Fill them, they freeze, stomp them out, refill. There is no magic cure for the deep freeze. Between pigs, goats, ducks, and rabbits I have 11 of these bowls ranging 5 gallons to 8 ounces. When it's this cold I may fill twice a day, however, for the goats I kick the bowl side and skim out with a Ice Fishing ice skimmer that hangs at their fence. My ducks and chickens are separate - the chickens have heated water but nobody else does, the ducks have rubber bowls outside their hut. They make a mess so they go outside and drink. Heck, the ducks stay outside most of the time and have to be herded into their house at night. If you let ducks slosh water around in a coop it freezes and adds moisture that is a no-win for everyone.

Black rubber bowls.

Have a bit of a love hate relationship right now.
Used to be very active in snow play, but no longer, so it's lost a good bit of it's appeal.
I do have a tractor with a thrower, but try to wait until its stopped to clear the driveway.

Loved snow and winter as a kid. Hate it as an adult. Just can't handle the cold anymore!!!

This is the first year I've had trouble with the cold, personally. It isn't even as cold as last year! I feel like I can't get warm most of the time.

As a kid I never remember being cold. My parents had to make my sister and I come in for a warm up after hours of playing outside. So strange how things change.

I think we're spoiled this year by the so far mostly mild temps...the holiday hulubaloo is happening when it usually gets cold and by Jan Feb we're used to it.
Not so much this season.

Back
Top Bottom