Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I used an Arkansas Blue rooster over CL hens last year and got some sexable prolific blue-egg layers with messy pea combs. Really nice not to have to raise cockerels. My feed bill is substantially down too, they are very feed efficient.
That is why we want to use the leghorns for those "sapphires". They are easy on the feed, lay nice sized eggs, should have a blue tint and a nice number of them. Yes, the combs are huge but our girls seem to tuck their heads more than the boys and protect their comb. Has anyone else seen this with their hens? The boys always have more frostbite damage than my girls.

I had thought about that cross (barred sex links) but CL hens are so dang expensive to get.
We have one CL hen with the CL rooster will have chicks from them but not many :) They are sex linked and won't be too expensive if you are interested?

If I had a plymouth rock barred roo, I could work on Rhodebars as well, but not enough room at the moment.

In search of fertile turkey eggs by the end of March...from any color or mix. Backyard mixes are fine, I had a confirmed order and was left in the lurch when the eggs encountered an accident. Looking for 3-4 dozen, SE Michigan preferred.

Weird year for sure for the maples! BIL is a supplier for sleeping bear farms and his tanks were full Monday morning. He's been boiling all week too.

This warm weather has me wanting to start planting my tomatoes and peppers WAY too early. Trying to be smart about it and hold off until the end of the month before shoving seeds in the dirt.
My Mom started her seedlings in the house already. She does every year about now. It's on my list also.

My buddy that lives in Beulah (sp) is a fishing guide and is catching some nice trout in the rivers. I may need to head up there sooner than later this year.

Typing from my phone makes me lazy. Hahahaha. I did manage to talk my darling husband into helping get the sheeting started on the greenhouse. One more piece to cap the top and installing the door and the window and I will be ready to grow all the things.
Could you take some more pictures of your greenhouse there? particularly on how you joined the hoop wire to the 2x4's for the door?

The cattle panels are just stapled on with 1 3/4 fence staples. And we zip tied the cattle panels together. Put pipe insulation around the ends so the panels wouldn't pierce the plastic. I based it on the cattle panel greenhouse from "Texas prepper 2" on YouTube. He has several videos that explains everything pretty well. My biggest issue is making the builders plastic we already had work because I have to do it in 2 pieces. Could have ordered a proper greenhouse plastic remnant but that would have tacked another $80 on to the cost and we already had the full 100ft roll of builders plastic here. My second biggest challenge is convincing dh that it doesn't have to be flawless and perfect. Hahahahhahahhaha

I am officially on the lookout for a CCL cockerel or an ameraucana cockerel. Trying to get some thing around 6mo to a year old. Benzie/grand traverse/Leelanau area....but I will also be in Cadillac area on Saturday if someone down there has one.

Could you take some more pictures of your greenhouse there? particularly on how you joined the hoop wire to the 2x4's for the door?
One of the nicest chicken coop runs I ever saw was Hillbilly Hen's hoop run. It was similar to this one. In the winter the snow just slides right off and the chickens have a nice dry area for whatnot. Sadly, she left the chicken biz a few years ago and sold the lot.

With all the rain, and mud, my boar is up to his chest in goo while the sows lounge in the barn on dry straw. Pretty soon it'll be time for him to go to work and make some bacon. 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days...

Today has been an awful week. I've got someone to watch my flock and herd while I make an unexpected trip to MN. My uncle passed away suddenly. My boyfriend's family is also mourning a loss. One of my two honeybee hives perished as well, they starved despite my feeding them.

I am setting some eggs. Maybe Araucana babies 21 days from now will make things better.

Anyone have any awesome stuff happen? I need to hear positive news.

Back
Top Bottom