Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I've always used cantaloupe, ripe if possible. Also, putting the trap in the middle of the pathway they usually use helps. I've caught them that way with no bait. They really want to clear that path.

If the trap is in their run, they will go in. bait or no bait. greens work good for bait however. Bok Choi in a small pot has always worked when their paths were
not noticeable yet. They do sooo much damage to a garden.

Looking out the back windows of my family room and not seeing the chicken coop is a rather new sensation. I gave my 8x14 coop to some folks and yesterday they came with a trailer, loaded it up, and hauled it away intact. Considering that is insulated, wired, has lights, a thermostatically controlled fan, droppings boards, a six place rollout nest box, built in feed box, an 8x8 roost area, and a 6x8 work/storage area that has two 6' rows of small cages they should be in pretty decent shape for raising birds.

Now I've only got two more small coops to get rid of and tear down the16x16 covered run. Then till and smooth the area once occupied by the birds, replant grass and all evidence of the flock will be gone. But the memories of them will remain so that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Looking out the back windows of my family room and not seeing the chicken coop is a rather new sensation. I gave my 8x14 coop to some folks and yesterday they came with a trailer, loaded it up, and hauled it away intact. Considering that is insulated, wired, has lights, a thermostatically controlled fan, droppings boards, a six place rollout nest box, built in feed box, an 8x8 roost area, and a 6x8 work/storage area that has two 6' rows of small cages they should be in pretty decent shape for raising birds.

Now I've only got two more small coops to get rid of and tear down the16x16 covered run. Then till and smooth the area once occupied by the birds, replant grass and all evidence of the flock will be gone. But the memories of them will remain so that is a good thing.
Way more than....lucky folks.

Our horizons change...but are populated with all the ones that have passed.

Looking out the back windows of my family room and not seeing the chicken coop is a rather new sensation.  I gave my 8x14 coop to some folks and yesterday they came with a trailer, loaded it up, and hauled it away intact.  Considering that is insulated, wired, has lights, a thermostatically controlled fan, droppings boards, a six place rollout nest box, built in feed box, an 8x8 roost area, and a 6x8 work/storage area that has two 6' rows of small cages they should be in pretty decent shape for raising birds.

Now I've only got two more small coops to get rid of and tear down the16x16 covered run.  Then till and smooth the area once occupied by the birds, replant grass and all evidence of the flock will be gone.  But the memories of them will remain so that is a good thing.
I just wanted to thank you again. The coop is now set in our yard behind the polebarn will send you pictures later. Made it up here and only lost a very small piece of siding. You have blessed us beyond what words can say. Between hubby working and being in the middle of an adoption we were scrambling to figure out how to get our coop built. God will reward your good works and kindness 10 cold. The offer stands for y'all to come up and visit. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

I just wanted to thank you again. The coop is now set in our yard behind the polebarn will send you pictures later. Made it up here and only lost a very small piece of siding. You have blessed us beyond what words can say. Between hubby working and being in the middle of an adoption we were scrambling to figure out how to get our coop built. God will reward your good works and kindness 10 cold. The offer stands for y'all to come up and visit. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
I'm glad that it is going to work out for you. I'm just sorry that I didn't have it clean for you.

Sorry about Hobo, John. Gentle rooster are hard to find.

Still must be hard, Sam. Chickens have been a part of your life for so many years. They brought you joy. Put some bird feeders out and enjoy the wild birds. Lots of beautiful colors. Take care and hope you come to Chickenstock. You still have a lot of knowledge to share.

It would be very strange for me to look out my window and not see coops. I can only image how odd if must seem as you have had chickens a LOT longer than I have. A "new normal" will come eventually.

Went and picked up 6 more chicks today. *sigh* no one has wyandottes yet so I'm going to end up with WAY too many birds. Again. Still. It's amazing how tiny the new ones look compared to the ones we got just a week ago.

Can anyone give me the scoop on ducks? Do I have to brood them separately from chicks? What breeds other than pekin TSC tends to get? Super messy? Which breeds are better layers? Are certain breeds louder? I had DH talked into a pair of ducklings this morning but all they had were pekin and my understanding is that those are more of a meat duck?

Back
Top Bottom