Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It helps when you have a little motivation!
smile.png
We just the other day fixed the leaky frost-free hydrant that was running all summer - got to get it done by freeze up or live with heat tape and a pool of ice.
Did that this summer. Broke up the concrete around it and dug on down to replace the whole thing. And the kicker was my bother started it and left me to finish it without talking to me about it and opting to wait until next weekend that would have been a little better schedule wise. Jerk.

Getting some dustings here about 25 miles SW of Ann Arbor. Nothing sticking yet. Almost feel sorry for those folks out in Kalamazoo out there for College Game Day. That wind feels a bit brutal out there. Going to need a little something in a flask out there for Anti-freeze.
wink.png

Hello friends, what does it mean when an 8 week old chick is just laying down (although she can stand and walk), won't eat but will drink and drink and drink, poop mostly a white substance and seems to be starving (as in you can feel his/her breast bone stick out, and actually his/her back bones too)? He/she is the biggest of my chickens. He/she grew really fast, and for a while he/she was about double the size of the others. I'm not even sure if it's a pullet or cockerel because the comb has been very large, but also kind of yellowish. The feathers are not very indicative either, but I'm sure I heard it coo on a couple of occassions. The chick is not aggresive either with the other chicks or with me, in fact, he/she is a lovebug, wanting me to pet and cuddle him/her. Last night I brought her in the house, put her in a box and gaver her water with electrlytes. She would not eat and I didn't make her. I just held her for a while. Then, in the wee hours of the morning, I went to check on her and she was a little more alert. I gave her more water with electrolytes and made some mush with her chick starter and a little bit of yoghurt and water. She ate a little bit of that. Is there anything else I can do? Do you think she's ill or just weak and starving? HELP!!!

Keep him/her warm and either add sugar ( for energy and to help getting her to eat) or apple cider vinegar ( to acidify her digestive and discourage cocci) to its water.2 tsp / quart of water. If you have the medication, treat her for cocci. For me it works better to give them a chick for company. A non aggressive one. Good luck,

I HATE WINTER

I just got an email from Meyers saying they are taking orders for next year. Is anyone within 40 miles of Millington going to order from them this year? I would like to get just a few. Delivery around April.

Back
Top Bottom