Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yesterday and today my barn got a new roof! There were carpenter ants eating at the soffet ends, so glad it's all fixed!!! Next is the workshop roof, and the house guttering. It's only money, right! Either it gets fixed, or all falls down later. That's not better. Mary

Hello MI thread. Perhaps more properly hello again. Though I haven't been active for close to 2 years I come now seeking advice. A few days ago my free ranging flock was attacked by a runaway dog without a tag, but having a collar and seeming to be well trained. He killed both of my male ducks that attempted to defend their girls as well as ripping the shoulder off of another duck. Since the attack I have not had a single egg laid. I am still in possession of the Dog in questioned and she is being cared for away from the flock at my neighbors home. My question is what is my next step, tomorrow I intend to travel the local area (Iosco twp near Marion, for those in the area think Bull Run x Coon Lake) to find the owner of the dog. I intend to seek reparations for the damage done, physically and financially (No egg production, no birds willing to even leave the coop. Considering that I have a flock of 32 Hens and now 4 Duck a cease in laying is going to severely impact my ability to pay for their feed in the coming months).

So, what's next.

Thanks!

BTW Here is the dog if anyone recognizes her.
15283932_10155477428055410_5098343874640262993_n.jpg

Welcome back, and so sorry for your losses. She looks like a nice dog, and hope her owner will turn up! Most veterinarians have microchip readers; have you had that checked out? Is there a phone # on the underside of her collar? If purebred looking, a breed rescue might be able to take her, depending on local shelter policy. Of course, finding the owner and getting compensation is #1 here. Good luck, Mary

What would seem an appropriate compensation value to request? I don't want to be to much of a burden on them but my ducks are inseparable and the remaining ducks are.. the best way to put it is lost, they leave the coop, eat and drink in 10 minutes, then lay in a huddle on the floor

She doesn't appear to be purebred, perhaps a pit bull/American bulldog mix from what I can gather, no id's whatsoever including a lack of a chip.

In our area there are a few lost pet sights. Love of Louie and we have Eaton County plus community forums that people post on. Good luck on finding the owners and so sorry for the losses. Maybe try local vet to see if they know the dog.

Back
Top Bottom