Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well here is something I never thought would happen. After almost 6 weeks inside we moved ours out to the coop today. Now our mastiff pup is all depressed cause we took away HIS chicks. He has been pouting all afternoon till I took him out to see them and he had to make sure they were all accounted for. Silly pup.

Today 21 eggs! The hens are back in production, after the awful rat episode. YES! So we moved the trio of EE bantams to their new pen in the run, and in the morning, I'm moving the Belgian d'Uccles into their area, and the standard birds into the rest of the coop. Nobody will be pleased, but it's overdue time to manage for spring (summer?) hatches. On with it! I'll need some 2017 chicks, and some for Chickenstock. Need the rain to stop for a while, too. Mary

Welcome newbies!! Hope to meet you at Chickenstock on June 10.

That's adorable, Jason. Hope your pup was satisfied that his chicks are ok!
He still wasnt too happy. Just kinda moped around. Our beagle on the other hand was happy as could be now that those little chew toys she couldnt play with are gone .
lol.png

I guess I need to threaten my chickens more often. As of Saturday, I have 3 more hens, and 1 duck laying. I'm trying REALLY HARD to NOT start saving eggs, or shuffling my rooster and a few certain hens into one coop to get the cross I want to hatch out because I JUST BROUGHT HOME 11 CHICKS and i'm supposed to be "cutting back."

Sorted all of my seeds out today so I know what I actually need to buy for this year (instead of just grabbing whatever sounds good and ending up with 3 different packs of basil, and 12 packs of assorted lettuces.

My plan is to grow my warm-weather-specific things in my greenhouse the whole season this year. I grew habaneros in the green house last year and got 8 1-qt bags full of peppers, which is WAY more than I thought I would get (and I would have gotten more if the builders plastic hadn't photo-degraded and shredded in September.) I'd like to grow my tomatoes in there this year, but I'm wondering if there would be a better *inexpensive* container to grow them in besides a 5-gal bucket (i'm not sure those will be big enough). The past few years I haven't had my tomato plants really start producing until late August or mid-September (and by that time the nights are cool enough that the flavor doesn't set well), so I'm hoping that by keeping them in the greenhouse they'll fruit earlier.

Hello all.

I got up this morning and it looks like one of my girls dislocated her leg overnight. She is over 4 years old. Any advice, tips or anything I can do for her?

Thanks

Hello all.

I got up this morning and it looks like one of my girls dislocated her leg overnight. She is over 4 years old. Any advice, tips or anything I can do for her?

Thanks
Yikes!!
If it's really dislocated(at the hip?), don't think that's DIY fix...need a vet.
If she's just limping badly, I isolate in wire crate to force rest.

Yikes!!
If it's really dislocated(at the hip?), don't think that's DIY fix...need a vet.
If she's just limping badly, I isolate in wire crate to force rest.

I can't tell if it's really dislocated. She can use it but hasn't really moved much. She is sitting in the coop. I'll isolate her and see how it goes. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom