Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I finally went ahead and converted my waterers over to vertical chicken nipples for the chicks and horizontal chicken nipples for the older birds. I'm loving them and am now kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The water is staying clean and I am saving myself a ton of time. I'm afraid I will have to go back to my old ways once winter comes back around since I don't have power in my coops, but for now, I'm loving it!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a blue silkie roo and buff Orpington hen would produce sex links? My hen hatched out 3 of her 4 eggs so far and two look very similar the third looks noticeably different. They aren't coming out from under mama much still so I can't get good pics.

We arrived home yesterday to an eerie silence. Our bonus rooster Jimmyroo usually comes to greet us but he was missing. We found him later, he was the victim of a hawk who killed him but didn't really even bother to try to eat him. Sad sad day, Jimmyroo was one of 6 chicks that were sent with a blue mark on their head as fillers, apparently I was supposed to kill them instead I chose to raise them. We lost one in the first few weeks then we lost 3 more to raccoons. The two remaining boys were bought inside and have been overnighting in the garage where they were safe. Jimmyroo was the friendly one of the bunch, he would welcome us home, stand in the way of our cars when we tried to get into our out of the garage .. he usually ended up in the passenger seat hitching a ride. He would come and visit the kitchen window looking for scraps and he was very helpful when hubby was fixing the truck (although he couldn't quite lift a wrench he was always there for support) So this morning no early morning roo from Jimmy .. no visit to the kitchen window and no mr Fabio shaking his fabulous golden hackles at the girls in the chicken coop. Who would have thought I could get so attached to a silly rooster.
So sorry about Jimmyroo! Love he name! What was he by the way? He was so pretty, we've got a Bresse roo that looks a little like him? We had a hawk do that to one of our roos, poor guy
1f616.png
. I live up in Traverse are you close by?

We never really knew what breed they were they looked a little like a leghorn but some had brown spots and jimmy had a definite golden cape and hackle. I think maybe some sort of hybrid sex link that the hatchery usually gets rid of once they are sexed ?

I have since found out that the DNR keeps a feed pile less than a mile north of here for eagles especially during the winter time. I'd never heard of this before but apparently they put out road kill and carcasses to help the population. We do see quite a few bald eagles as well as other hawks so now we are making sure our duck pen and main coop area is netted to prevent further losses.

I'm just north of Harbor Springs so not so far away from TC.

I finally went ahead and converted my waterers over to vertical chicken nipples for the chicks and horizontal chicken nipples for the older birds. I'm loving them and am now kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The water is staying clean and I am saving myself a ton of time. I'm afraid I will have to go back to my old ways once winter comes back around since I don't have power in my coops, but for now, I'm loving it!
do some research on recirculating systems to move the water so the water doesn't freeze and a aquarium heater. I am upgrading my water system this year to this....cant wait. follow my forum below and you will see when I do this and everything else I do

Back
Top Bottom