Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I've used Valbazen (Albendazole) liquid - Kills pretty much all the internal parasites of concern in chickens, including tapeworms. Kills worms over several days, reducing the risk of worm impactions.
Small birds should get 1/2 cc, large birds 1 cc; repeat in 10 days.
Discard eggs for 10 days after treatment.

Or what Dawg53 recommends - quoted here from anther thread
"I recommend the equimax (Ivermectin and Praziquantel equine dewormer), it's easier to administer and only twice. Valbazen is effective but requires multiple dosings at higher doses and withholding feed (for tapeworms.)
I recommend withholding feed for 24 hours prior to worming when dealing with tapeworms anyway; no matter if it's equimax, z-gold or valbazen. Withholding feed for 24 hours makes the wormer more effective as the worms will be starving. Feed the hungry rascals equimax lol.
After worming, wait 4 to 5 hours before feeding your chickens. The chickens will be starving also. Only feed them a little at a time. If you dont, they will gorge on their feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard. Gradually increase their feed as the day goes by back to normal feeding.
Always worm your birds first thing in the mornings. I like to snatch them off the roost one at a time just before or right at sunrise and worm each one individually, then release them into the pen. I dont let them free range until later in the afternoon (remember the gorging issue.)"

Another thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-my-chickens-have-worms.1236799/

Dose is 0.03 cc per pound or 0.16 cc per 5# of weight. 14 day withholding for eggs.

I have not personally withhold feed for 24 hours, but it sounds like a good idea if you are treating tapeworms. Sounds like both work better for tapes if you withhold food, then repeat dosing.

Last edited:
011D16F8-D48C-4DA5-A9EE-F9D598F4BAAF.jpeg
Hi ijon
I have a mealworm farm. Super simple. I started with about 3500 worms. My chickens get none, although they would love it. They would wipe it out. The hedgehog gets a few and the rest are for rehabbing wild birds. Each drawer is a different stage of development, although several for different size worms. The top has screen on the bottom so the eggs and newly hatched worms drop through, otherwise the beetles will eat them. I prefer the oatmeal as well. No smell, it’s in the family room.:)

If anyone hears anout a heritage Tom turkey that’s not too far south... our hen (now an only) keeps trying to run off with the wild boys.

View attachment 1742474 Hi ijon
I have a mealworm farm. Super simple. I started with about 3500 worms. My chickens get none, although they would love it. They would wipe it out. The hedgehog gets a few and the rest are for rehabbing wild birds. Each drawer is a different stage of development, although several for different size worms. The top has screen on the bottom so the eggs and newly hatched worms drop through, otherwise the beetles will eat them. I prefer the oatmeal as well. No smell, it’s in the family room.:)

If anyone hears anout a heritage Tom turkey that’s not too far south... our hen (now an only) keeps trying to run off with the wild boys.
That would be a problem with all the wild boys around.

"Michigan farm animals and supplies" on Face book, someone had some royal palm turkeys advertised.

aart, I think you're right about that hen. She is so bloated that she's miserable. She wants to eat, but not really drink. I may just need to end her suffering.

Have a good weekend everyone - I'm out after today!

aart, I think you're right about that hen. She is so bloated that she's miserable. She wants to eat, but not really drink. I may just need to end her suffering.
When I get a bloated one they guzzle water but won't eat...so watery poops too.
I let the first one go for a few days or so, the rest I put out of misery quick.
DIY necropsies showed definite issues that were, IMO, untreatable.

Did a list get made with folks attending Chickenstock and what they are bringing? I looked at the page and did not see one like years before. It def made it easier to see, and ask, what items were being brought by whom. Just curious, no worries, and no I don't know how to do it. I believe Candy did it the last few years.

I’m planning on attending last I spoke with @Candy442 she was gonna start a list sooner to the event..This will be my first Chickenstock and I must say I’m darned excited!!! I’m in Ohiobut I ain’t seen where anyone has one or even anyone that seems much interested so here I come MI!! I camp and kayak at least once a year in MI beautiful state for sure but I’ll always be a Buckeye!! Really looking forward to meeting members closer to my area and probably bringing home some chicks and or ducks!! I’m probably going to bring pasta salad as I’m NW ohio so I have a bit of drive and don’t wanna worry about keeping food warm..a cold dish be a lot easier...and maybe some fresh lemonade or some type of drink refreshment...I’m assuming no alcohol lol I make a really good Red Sangria lol

Did a list get made with folks attending Chickenstock and what they are bringing? I looked at the page and did not see one like years before. It def made it easier to see, and ask, what items were being brought by whom. Just curious, no worries, and no I don't know how to do it. I believe Candy did it the last few years.

I did make a page for two years, this year @RaZ made it and I believe he was going to add a table of attendees and all?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ock-2019-mics19-pot-luck-swap-thread.1287669/

Sorry gang, I haven't really done anything for a Chicken Stock list yet. Working 2 jobs has wiped me out.
Friday I'm having knee surgery and will be off for the weekend. I will make every effort to get something posted. Please bear with me.

Back
Top Bottom