Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:
That was interesting to watch, thanks! But you explained the unusualties better. :) I did have a young one lay an egg with no shell on it a couple of weeks ago. And have seen them laid on top of the pen/coop wire vs. in a nesting box. Maybe those were fart eggs too!

I did have a young one lay an egg with no shell on it a couple of weeks ago. And have seen them laid on top of the pen/coop wire vs. in a nesting box. Maybe those were fart eggs too!
Usually called 'soft shells' or 'rubber eggs'....and if not really tiny are not fart eggs.

After some excruciating cold-calls to vets(I don't have a regular vet) I finally found one who will come here for canine euthanasia. I've heard good things about this woman over the years. The old pup will finally be relieved of his suffering without having to go in the van to a strange clinic filled with judgmental people.
Huge relief, yet bittersweet.

So sorry to hear that aart. It is a tough thing to do. I'm glad you found a vet that makes house calls.

I found a nice pink egg today in the nest. I think it was laid by one of the Sapphire Gems. I'm not positive. They are well past the 20 week mark, about 6 months old now. They are pretty birds but I don't think I'll ever get them again. I'm going back to Orpingtons in the spring.

After some excruciating cold-calls to vets(I don't have a regular vet) I finally found one who will come here for canine euthanasia. I've heard good things about this woman over the years. The old pup will finally be relieved of his suffering without having to go in the van to a strange clinic filled with judgmental people.
Huge relief, yet bittersweet.
Hi aart,

I had to do the same thing last winter with our oldest Lab. 16 years he lived and loved us unconditionally. We have a reg Vet, and she came to our home to bring him to a peaceful end. It was really well done, we all got to say our goodbyes and get a final hug. The other dogs also got closure before we took him out of the house. Best way for him to go, no question.

And, Hi!

I'm back. Flock is doing well, but Bob is gone. Euthanized late last winter. He was just too enthusiastic with the girls, and they were missing too many feathers. Then 2 weeks ago, Ethel the Easter Egger passed away with no obvious disease or injuries. Maybe she had an egg blockage, or I don't know what. The rest of the flock is perfectly fine, so no contagious illness.

Chicken math has taken root, so it's lose one hen and replace her with 12 more. Barred Rocks and Americaunas are arriving tomorrow. Excited to have chicks again!

Back
Top Bottom