Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I am struggling with the idea of even going back to work. I really don't want too. It sure has been nice being home, I can tell I needed the mental break. I know I need too work, but I am not sure if I want to stay in my old field or settle for something else. Frustrating.

I have 30 eggs in the bator, lock down is on the 11th and should start hatching the 14th... I also picked up 6 BB turckey chicks.

I can sure relate to that. I should be enjoying retirement but here I am starting a new career. I'll have to work another 5-6 years before I'm eligible for Social Security, maybe 3 for disability. Or maybe this Meijer gig will last 20 years. :idunno

Darn chickens keep getting out of the run. Tree branch fell on the fence and created a breach. So far they haven't been caught by any predictors but I consider that just pure luck. I'll have to re-do the whole fence this weekend. I have one side already set. I wasn't going to get chicks this year but I think I should just in case my escape artists get taken.

I officially retired Dec. 2018, and have been working a few days each month since then. Until March, and who knows when I'll go back? It needs to be safer than it is now, for sure.
Vegetable gardening this summer, after years of visiting farmer's markets instead. Another activity that's not happening anytime soon.
And chicks coming next week!
Mary

"SillyChicken - I can tell I needed the mental break. I know I need too work, but I am not sure if I want to stay in my old field or settle for something else. "

Silly, it sounds like you were really burnt out and needed a break. But don't give up on your career, sometimes a job comes along that just sucks the life out of you, but that doesn't mean you couldn't be very happy in the same type of job but somewhere else.

I can see that my retirement plans are going to be delayed for a while now, I guess it's just a new world now.

Can you do a temporary fix on the fence, RaZ? Glad your foot is feeling better!!
It was such a beautiful day yesterday! Stayed outside as much as possible. My young neighbor came over and we visited for awhile. Always at least 6 ft apart. Told her she and her brother can come over and play with the air hockey or foosball, or ping pong tables. No one has played them since this started. Imagine they're getting bored, too. I can wipe them down and hand them disinfecting wipes.
Not much to write about since no one is doing anything exciting. lol
Stay safe. Stay home. Be smart.

Had to bite the bullet, and don a mask, to go get food and supplies for me and the chickens.
3 stores and the bank. Many others wore masks but not staff...SMH.
Grocery store guy was spraying off cart handles, when I asked about masks he said next week they would be forced to wear them. Someone told me all staff at TSC had them on the other day, I saw not one today. Was glad to get some pretty fresh feed and a couple other supplies I'll likely need before feed runs out again. Cutting down my trips out wayyyy down, but eventually ya gotta go out.

We are still in Bolivia due to airlines being shut down. We attempted to leave on a repatriation flight but were unable to get to the airport on time. We needed special ground travel permission from the US Embassy here in Bolivia and did not get it on time to make to the airport. It was extremely difficult for us, but we are recovering from it.
Our first early daffodils bloomed today! Yahoo!
Family came over, maintaining distancing outside, so the three year old 'birthday girl' could pet one of the mares, find an egg in the coop, and generally have a good time. Her younger brother managed to not eat the stuff he kept picking up in the yard, so everyone was happy. It was nice to have them over, but weird to not have them close, or in the house, or anything...
So tonight I lost my mind __again__ and ordered fifteen more chicks from Cackle, coming (I hope) in May. If all goes well, I'll have white Chanteclers, and then Buckeyes and Speckled Sussex, and maybe Marans extra. We'll see.
Mary
How very nice!
Strange but true. We as humans need interactions with other humans. This whole thing with the virus is crazy. Keep healthy Art.
That is so true!

Here are the rules for Bolivia:

Health Alert: U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia, April 8, 2020
Event: Quarantine Measures in Bolivia
  • National quarantine measures remain in effect in Bolivia through April 15, 2020.
  • All commercial domestic and international air travel is suspended.
  • All persons are to remain in their homes 24 hours a day with an exception made for emergencies and the assigned shopping morning.
  • Health services will remain available 24 hours per day and pharmacies will continue their regular hours.
  • Police and armed forces remain active.
  • Food and basic provisions will continue to be transported around the country.
  • Grocery stores, markets, and banks will be open from 8:00 am until noon Monday-Friday.
  • One person between the ages of 18 and 65 per family is authorized to leave their residence to buy food and basic necessities according to the schedule below:
    • Mondays: persons with ID number ending in 1 or 2
    • Tuesdays: persons with ID number ending in 3 or 4
    • Wednesdays: persons with ID number ending in 5 or 6
    • Thursdays: persons with ID number ending in 7 or 8
    • Fridays: persons with ID number ending in 9 or 0
    • Stores are closed and people should remain at home on Saturdays and Sundays.

Can you do a temporary fix on the fence, RaZ? Glad your foot is feeling better!!
Stay safe. Stay home. Be smart.
I'm hoping that the weekend is decent. That would give me 2 days to make the repairs. I'm going tear all fencing down and start from scratch. I think I have all the materials that I need on hand.

Whoever said keeping chickens was easy? :he

Had to bite the bullet, and don a mask, to go get food and supplies for me and the chickens.
I also had to make a supply run today after work. I don't have a mask but I do have bandannas. I look like a cowboy.
Safety protocols are pretty hit or miss around here. Some folks in masks and gloves and quite a few not. I got in and out as fast as I could.

I don't have a mask but I do have bandannas.
That's what I used.
Even proper masks won't protect the person wearing them....just help stop the spewing.
Can't believe all staff was not masked....wonders how long it will be before it's mandatory?

One person between the ages of 18 and 65 per family is authorized to leave their residence to buy food and basic necessities according to the schedule below
Are they enforcing this with spot checks...or is everyone pretty compliant?
Sorry you're stuck, geez, that's crazy.

Yikes! My cell phone just blew up with an emergency order. The stay at home order has been extended to April 30. I'm guessing that my "essential worker" permit will allow me to go to work tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom