Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I first came to Alabama for the neurologist in UAB, one of the best in the United States. To try and fix the trigeminal neuralgia that I suffered with. It was so painful and debilitating, that I was going to have brain surgery. But during the back and forth trips, I discovered that I didnt hurt when I was in the south. Marriage fell apart, so I moved- without knowing anyone, and with only what would fit in my truck. I have been here for three years.
Now I am a sales rep for veterinary supplies, have huge gardens, and 43 chickens and guineas, and I am a shape shifter that melts in the heat.
Sorry but, the mental image of a self proclaimed shape shifter that melts is highly amusing.

I need some suggestions. My year old Brown Leghorn has become broody. I don't have any roosters, so I am getting some fertilized eggs from a neighbor. I am just testing it out, I have never tried hatching eggs, let alone with a hen. I figured the kids would enjoy something to keep them entertained. What would I need to do? I have a total of 11 hens. They never go into the shed unless to roost, so she has privacy. I am going to try 6, and move her nesting box away from the other nesting boxes.

I need some suggestions. My year old Brown Leghorn has become broody. I don't have any roosters, so I am getting some fertilized eggs from a neighbor. I am just testing it out, I have never tried hatching eggs, let alone with a hen. I figured the kids would enjoy something to keep them entertained. What would I need to do? I have a total of 11 hens. They never go into the shed unless to roost, so she has privacy. I am going to try 6, and move her nesting box away from the other nesting boxes.
If you leave them in the main nests, you'll have to mark the fertile eggs, then check daily to remove any freshly laid eggs.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days.
Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.

I do it the same way, pretty much. I will try to move her with her eggs, and most often it works, but not always. Do it at night, with a small flashlight, to her new place that's already set up. It's best if it's something like a big dog crate near in the coop rather than further away.
Mary

Hi Michigan,

Are any of you all out there renters? We just found out that our current renter's insurance only allows 1 chicken per household member. Our city only allows 3 hens, so we'd like to get 3 but there are 2 of us. Our insurance is Meemic. Curious if anyone is a renter and has checked their insurance policies.

We just found out that our current renter's insurance only allows 1 chicken per household member.
Meaning they will cover the loss of one chicken but not two?
Not a renter, but would never dream of claiming my chickens on my homeowners insurance, don't even want them to know about the coop and especially the extension cord running out to it.

Meaning they will cover the loss of one chicken but not two?
Not a renter, but would never dream of claiming my chickens on my homeowners insurance, don't even want them to know about the coop and especially the extension cord running out to it.
Yeahhh..... :rolleyes: :oops::duc /Kicks some pebbles with shoe for distraction purposes
Not gonna confirm/denigh any info regarding such ideas on this end either.....

What exactly is the homeowners insurance on chickens for? Death of the chickens? Damage to the chickens? Damages that the chickens do?

I waited until my hen had sat through several nights on fake eggs, then moved both her and the fake eggs to a small separate coop. She had a tendency to get back onto the wrong nest when she did get up, and I had to shepherd her back to the proper place even after moving her for a few days. I moved her after dark so that she would settle down in her new place. Once it was obvious that she was sitting tightly, I gave her fertile eggs. Eggs are due to hatch on Sunday, she has been sitting like a trooper.

Because we have horses and cattle, and chickens, we have a farm policy, not homeowner's. If there's ever a problem, you do want coverage, ESPECIALLY liability coverage! What if someone is injured in some way related to your chickens? This can get ugly, and loosing everything is possible...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom