Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

There have been scads of grasshoppers here today. I haven't seen such an abundance of grasshoppers since I was a kid. So nice that my little slice of paradise is pesticide free.
Native plants bring native insects of every type. Such a nice biome to call my own.

The chickens are loving the buffet. Every night they go to bed with full bellies (crops). Now if I could only thin the hoards of chipmunks. I can do without their destructive antics.

BBS2.jpg
BBS1.jpg

South side of the garage. Native grasses and flowers are thriving. So many bugs in that small patch and the chickens couldn't be happier. I'd never get away with a native landscape like that if I was still in the city.

Hopefully within a year or so I'll have enough prairie restored to draw in the pheasant population. I've been working on this restoration since I moved here. It's getting there.

It looks beautiful, do you Have any queen Anne's lace?
I do. A lot of that. Plus lots of other host and nectar plants for the butterflies, Even a couple of patches of Black-Eyed Susan and Brown-Eyed Susan. I'm very happy about that because I had tried for decades to grow that Native. I never had any luck. I was certain that it would never grow for me. Funny how some plants you really want don't want to cooperate. But they are here now!

:welcome Sally! It's amazing to get your first egg. Love watching and mingling with my chickens. I'm in Dimondale, just outside of Lansing. Good group here, so any questions, just ask. Someone will

My field is filled with native flowers. I have seen a lot of butterflies. Love seeing all the black eyed susan and queen ann's lace, milk weed, etc. A couple of years ago, I noticed joe pyed weed. Didn't remember if I brought some seed over from my house in Davison. But, I've gone out when it went to seed and spread the seed all over. Haven't been able to go check out how it coming along because my hubby didn't mow a path this year. Neighbor was telling him to be careful because the deer will have their babies in the grass. We do have a mom and baby every year hanging about.
Enjoy your day.

Back
Top Bottom