Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I never mow more than ABSOLUTELY necessary
Same here....and most leaves just get mowed in, most others blow away.
Glad not to have any places I have to rake leaves.
Big oak out in one 'field' that if it's dry will gather some leaves for run.

Lazy day here.
'Cold', Rainy, Windy....Football, Good Book, and Mom's Cream of Mushroom Baked Mac-n-Cheese with upgrades.

I never mow more than ABSOLUTELY necessary - just hate doing it. So I'm glad to hear that the bugs benefit. I will, if it ever gets dry again, run the gas out of my mower by edging the lawn, does leave it looking much tidier. And makes it easier to find the dog poop :lol:
I was once one of those 4-step lawn people. When I went for my master's degree, I learned several reasons why a manicured lawn is un-natural. It is an un-sustainable monoculture with no real benefit for it's existence. I even did a research paper that traced the advent of subdivision lawns.
So many of us live(d) in areas that are governed by a slew of ordinances that are designed to keep us in line. Remember the lady who had a garden in her front yard? The city ran her out of her home. I fought my city for years over the right to have chickens and flowers in my yard. I lost and am still paying for that, even though I moved away 5 years ago.
Bottom line is that if you can create a natural habitat for pollinators and beneficial insects, please do so. That natural habitat helps us humans as well.

I got a lot of firewood cut today. Some of it still needs to be split. I did get most of it moved to the racks where it needs to be. The rain really cut into chore time. The yard is a soupy mud mess. If it drops below freezing, as the report says, then it will be even worse.
Welcome to Michigan.

Came home yesterday from our fall camping trip to Silver Lake. The colors are beautiful. Some rain and a lot of high winds, but still enjoyed our trip.
1mutts, we also came home and emptied out the camper of all food and liquids. We didn't have to worry about dumping. I need to get in the camper and clean. Right now, I have a mountain of laundry to do. We actually had to use blankets, now they need to be washed. I loved all our trips this summer. Sad to see it end.

Down to 45 chickens, as of this afternoon sometime. Our ONE year old Belgian d'Uccle hen, probably a hawk. Found at dusk, so could be an owl. I'd think that a weasel would have killed more birds, so a raptor.
Now the flock will be in for two weeks, hoping we don't have more losses.
We have extra cockerels, why not one of them???
Mary

Last edited:
My one pullet is thinking about going broody.
Been feathers in nest for a week or so.
In nest all day today(I think) laid late this afternoon and still in nest at lock up.
She's is now in the breaker crate.
Hope I can nip this in the bud fast.
Luckily one hen is laying a couple a week again(I use lights and she must have molted early).

Down to 45 chickens, as of this afternoon sometime. Our ONE year old Belgian d'Uccle hen, probably a hawk. Found at dusk, so could be an owl. I'd think that a weasel would have killed more birds, so a raptor.
Now the flock will be in for two weeks, hoping we don't have more losses.
We have extra cockerels, why not one of them???
Mary
sorry for your loss, darn predators, we lost our little blue bantie. She was old, but I can't find any trace of her so I'm sure she got carried away. :(

Back
Top Bottom