Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Got the dvr set to record grinch, rudolph, and frosty. Probably watch them with grands. As a side note our Getty Drive-In is showing movies so we went and saw the Croods and Grinch. I have not been to a drive-in since the 70's, lol. You tune your radio now, who knew? Anyway it was cold and fun. 5 foot wreath is up on the barn again.

She had a prolapsed vent at 6 days old that we got her through, and I am wondering if that might be the reason why she is not laying.
Not likely, but you'll want to keep an eye on her when she does start laying.
EE are a mix, so can be slower to mature depending on what breeds in their parentage.

Does she look and feel like she should be laying?
Here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

So 2020 continues, although yesterday's issue is small stuff in the scheme of things: one of my white Chantie pullets dead in the coop in the morning, not obviously ill before. She had 'crud' at her vent, and a mass of yolk and pus inside her oviduct. Also fairly thin, so must have been unwell, but I didn't see it. Darn it! Miserable for any of them, and especially a pullet.
Otherwise, a beautiful day, got more outside stuff done. More to do today.
DD is going to have a Christmas party, and we aren't going to attend. More of their 'denial' type behavior...
Mary

Yes, a short necropsy, that's how I found the problem. Once before, long ago, we had a six (or so) month old pullet, who never layed an egg, have her whole abdomen filled with a pus filled uterus.
Mary

Last edited:
Yes, a short necropsy, that's how I fond the problem. Once before, long ago, we had a six (or so) month old pullet, who never layed an egg, have her whole abdomen filled with a pus filled uterus.
Mary
At least you know the cause of death....that it was nothing you could have done about.
Sorry for your loss.

Got new baffle, 35" x 8', up on north eave, It will redirect any strong drafts farther up above roost. Was pretty easy to get up there, wasn't sure how I would prop it up but those buckets were perfect. Needs another 'rib' on far left, and another bucket on far right.
That's Willie standing on the roost.

1607031770948.png

Back
Top Bottom