Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Took a trip around the property earlier. I found a dead 4-point that was barely scavenged. No tracks in the snow around the carcass. That tells me that scavengers and predators are scarce. Makes it easier to let the chickens free range for the time being.

Still waiting for this rain to turn to snow. :caf
Interesting. I'd love to know what killed it if he wasn't shot. I had one in my front yard this fall that probably died of tapeworm infestation. So many worms.

Interesting. I'd love to know what killed it if he wasn't shot. I had one in my front yard this fall that probably died of tapeworm infestation. So many worms.
Right hind leg was broken just below the hip. Might have been buckshot or slug, But I'm guessing. I don't know for sure but it didn't looked like it had been gnawed on. There was no skin or muscle on the hind quarter but the rest of the carcass was pretty much intact, less the decay. I found it about 10 feet from a heavily traveled seer trail. No other tracks in the snow around it. So it's a mystery to me.

I got 4 eggs today. I've been getting 2-4 per day for a month now. These winter eggs are being laid on the floor and are pretty dirty. Not sure why the hens are avoiding the nest boxes but I'm glad to still being getting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom