Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Maybe mites in the nest boxes? Idiot pullets?
Mine are all laying in the nest boxes. Nine to fourteen eggs from a total of 32 hens and pullets, although only two of eleven bantams are in lay. This is with a light on 3am to 7am every morning. I'd probably have way fewer eggs without it!
Still, I'm not working (since mid-March) so no egg sales at work. Not helpful!
Mary

I got 4 eggs today. I've been getting 2-4 per day for a month now. These winter eggs are being laid on the floor and are pretty dirty. Not sure why the hens are avoiding the nest boxes but I'm glad to still being getting eggs.
Did they lay in them before?
Have the nests been changed since then?
Fake eggs in the nests?

I put 2 plastic milk crates in my coop when I had the broodies taking over the nest boxes. No one uses the nest boxes anymore. They fight over the crates now. I just put them on the floor in the two corners. Silly chickens....

Did they lay in them before?
Have the nests been changed since then?
Fake eggs in the nests?
The original hens did. Then I got the Chanticllers and Buckeyes who weren't laying yet. When the pullets started to lay, they would go to a corner by the feed cans and squeeze between the cans. Now they all want to do that.
I hope they start laying in that display I brought home last week. I'm getting tired of bending down to pick up eggs. :old

I just came in from cleaning the coop. I found something strange in the bedding. I thought it was a cherry tomato, but when I broke it open, yolk came out. Any thoughts of cause?

Back
Top Bottom