Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hey, it's winter. It's going to snow every night!
Not down here. ;)

Nineteen eggs today!!! The most since fall, from a total of 33 hens and pullets.
Oh, to have pullets in the coop!
Are your hens back online too?

My one an only pullet, who went broody in Oct and hasn't laid since, laid yesterday.
I got 2 eggs today, first time in months.
Yearling hen came back online last week.

Yes, both some hens and the pullets are working, bless them. Must have some pullets every year! And I have the light on, 3am to 7am, all winter. It also helps. Our lowest egg numbers were six or eight per day.
This spring's order is a bit different, I've decided to cut back on some breeds, and have more Chanties, then some EEs and Marans, and the few bantams. So not as many breeds going forward. We'll see...
Mary

Two today before 10 am, so maybe two tomorrow too. Geez, does that sentence sound clanky on the ear. :rolleyes:

A few inches of snow forecast here. We'll see. So very glad I don't have to drive in it. Hubby does, but... he likes it. He's weird that way.

Ah, the great light debate. ;)
I suppose it comes down to how much "need" you have for winter eggs.
I let my hens have a winter rest, so no lights in my coop. If I had year round customer demand for eggs I would probably reconsider.
The eggs I get in winter months are usually from pullets reaching POL in late fall or winter. That's why I keep getting a few chicks each year.

I picked up a couple of roos last summer, so maybe I can forgo buying chicks from the feed stores this year. Hopefully a hen or 2 will go broody come spring. I have been getting fertile eggs this past month.

Everybody molts just fine here. Very few do a 'severe' molt, I think more likely when they are fed the lower protein layer feed. And obviously many do stop or seriously slow down their egg production anyway in the dark months, but getting something rather than zero works for me.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom