Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I don't do any extended light during the winter months. I do turn on the coop light during the winter when I go in to clean in the morning and turn it off when I check on them at bedtime. Only because it's so dark in the coop. The hens are born with as many eggs they will lay in their lifetime. As I look at it, they'll just stop sooner. And I think a rest is good for them. Nature. The last hen that I rescued has laid an egg every day till mid December. Then maybe skipped a day here and there. She's again laying most days. Don't know what breed she is. Got 4 eggs out of my 6 remaining chickens.
John mentioned a fall Chickestock. I asked August or September. No response. Well, won't be putting deposit on pavilion unless there's a response....
Snowing. Looks like we got a couple inches so far. Looks pretty.
Have a good day, all. Stay safe

Non stop laying will reduce their laying life, and their health/life overall, due to never getting a rest rather than running out of eggs.
I don't turn the lights up until December to give them a chance to molt.
Had some birds molt in spring when I had light on earlier.

Chickenstock: I would be there, IF: I've gotten a covid vaccine, and the general guidelines are such that people are gathering again. I know it's impossible to predict the second thing. Even the vaccine might be hard to predict. I'm too young, too healthy, and not "essential" enough to get it any time soon.

So, I'm counting my blessings about being young(ish), healthy, and retired.

How much is the deposit, and if the event had to be canceled, would it be refunded?

Had a hawk get in my run yesterday, overhead netting is not in good repair. fortunately once he got in he was more interested in getting out then getting a hen. Hens were all in the coop hiding in every small space they could find. Think I fixed the spot she/he may have gotten in.
Welcome to the newbee's:welcome Stay warm everyone!

Had a hawk get in my run yesterday, overhead netting is not in good repair. fortunately once he got in he was more interested in getting out then getting a hen. Hens were all in the coop hiding in every small space they could find. Think I fixed the spot she/he may have gotten in.
YIKES!!

How did it get back out?

Another snow that was forecast to be next to nothing turned into a lot more than expected. The drive to work was a challenge. Snow drifts across the road at place and black ice at others. Drive home was mostly wet pavement until you hit the drifts or more black ice. I loved it!
Shoveled about 3-4 inches off the porch. An hour later it was covered again. All of the chickens and ducks were out in the snow and wind. Stupid birds. :gig
This is my view from the front porch.
P4.jpg
P3.jpg
P2.jpg
P1.jpg

We only had about an inch this morning, storm went north of us again.
I was kinda bummed...but then snow globe dropped another couple inches.
Which was great!
Until........

Fricking idiots got stuck in my driveway and turned most of it into ice by spinning tires.
Had to go up fire up the thrower and clear the hill, which thankfully they hadn't ruined.
Thank god they got out.
😡
🤬
😡
🤬
😡

Back
Top Bottom