Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I remember that I had to cover my plants last year cuz of a cold snap.
RaZ, there's a pair of unrelated peafowl looking for a new home in Ionia. Posted on the Michigan Chicks and Peeps FB page.
Cold but no snow here.
Second time there's a bunch of white feathers on the other side of my fence. Has to happen later in the evening. I was outside till 7 last night. Hawk? Fox? Don't know what bird it would be that was killed. Bird feeders are on outside of my fence to keep the other critters out of my fenced in area.
On closer inspection, I went out and discovered that something is pulling out the nesting from two birdhouses! They sure stuffed a whole bunch of chicken feathers in those houses! So, what do you think? Are the birds cleaning house or are the squirrels doing it?

Last edited:
Glad to see everyone is busy busy these days. I discovered this week 3 raccoons hanging by the coop during the night! :mad:

I had the original idea of live and let live....until I saw that they are attempting to dig into the run. I don’t have the wire down yet to deter digging but the good news is the coop is very secure.

I thinks it’s going to be time to take matters into my own hands. I guess I’ve always wanted a Davey Crockett hat.:p

I have a couple of live traps and will set them tonight. I hate to have to take action to dispatch a critter...but it’s either them or my girls....girls will always come first.

I have a couple of live traps and will set them tonight. I hate to have to take action to dispatch a critter...but it’s either them or my girls....girls will always come first.
Good luck!

Last summer, I had a live trap baited with "never fail to get a raccoon" marshmallows. It failed. Let me know what you use for bait and how it works.

175530413_1746096032236694_5491501078739376085_n.jpg

IKR?!
Glad to have it sold to someone who has a good use and is very local,
....thanks to some serendipitous word of mouth.
The right places, people, time coming together.
Gonna be weird to have it not there....by next week.
Got some paperwork snafus and what to do with the half finished hoop coop?
Think I'm just going to disassemble it and stash the materials.
View attachment 2627352
sell the trailer part. I am looking for one or that was what you sold?

Still no vehicle as waiting all morning to have it delivered. I did walked half a mile for the first time in 2 yrs. It got me a bit painful but will do it again tomorrow and build from it. I need to measure my area and maybe I can walk inside my own land. Oh, how I wish I had more land and full homestead!!!!
Catch up with you guys later.

Update: Just got called that they will pick me up at 130pm to get my truck back, YEAH!

Last edited:
I thinks it’s going to be time to take matters into my own hands. I guess I’ve always wanted a Davey Crockett hat.:p

I know folks on here have heard me say this before, but here it is again.

We live surrounded by wild animals. Killing the ones that are impinging on your property will only result in more predators replacing them. This cycle of killing wildlife for doing what they do naturally, then having more predators come along that are also killed, will not ensure the safety of your flock.

The only way to secure your birds' safety is to build a coop and run properly, so as to keep wildlife out and chickens in. You can not protect them with traps and guns, unless you kill every living thing that may take a chicken - dogs, foxes, eagles, owls, hawks, coyotes, weasels, raccoons, etc, Some of these are protected animals. Others do tremendous service to reduce the population of mice, voles, chipmunks, rabbits and other animals that can do damage to gardens and in homes. All of them are fascinating to watch, and a part of our natural world.

Back
Top Bottom