Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I know folks on here have heard me say this before, but here it is again.

We live surrounded by wild animals. Killing the ones that are impinging on your property will only result in more predators replacing them. This cycle of killing wildlife for doing what they do naturally, then having more predators come along that are also killed, will not ensure the safety of your flock.

The only way to secure your birds' safety is to build a coop and run properly, so as to keep wildlife out and chickens in. You can not protect them with traps and guns, unless you kill every living thing that may take a chicken - dogs, foxes, eagles, owls, hawks, coyotes, weasels, raccoons, etc, Some of these are protected animals. Others do tremendous service to reduce the population of mice, voles, chipmunks, rabbits and other animals that can do damage to gardens and in homes. All of them are fascinating to watch, and a part of our natural world.
I so agree with you on this.
I chose to move to a wooded, natural area and brought my chickens with me. My coop is 100 feet from my house but it is literally set in the woods. My 7 acres of heaven is surrounded on 3 sides by hundreds of acres of state land. That land has every type of wildlife that you can find in Michigan. It's open for public hunting and fishing. I've seen both predator and prey in my "yard". It is my responsibility to tend to my flock and make certain that they are as safe as can be. If one of my birds gets taken it my fault for allowing it to happen. I can't blame a predator for doing what it's instinct tells it to do.

A few years ago I let my chickens free range while I was out with them. I was doing some chore and turned in time to see an eagle swoop down and snatch a hen that was not more than 20 - 30 feet away from where I was. I was sad that I lost a bird. But I was awed by the majestic prowess of an apex predator.

Now consider this. Chickens are predators too. I've watched mine play mouse football. I've seen them snatch grasshoppers in the tall grass. And dig for worms and salamanders. Small frogs that get too close are doomed. They will even go after the ribbon snakes that are native here.

I treasure each and every living thing that I encounter in my habitat. I'm happy to be here and existing in this environment. I brought my poultry here to live in this area so I owe them the best protection from predation that I possibly can. If I fail to do so then I can't blame the fox, owl, dog, or human that exploits my failure.

All that I can suggest is to do the best that you can do to keep your flock safe. Be responsible.

I brought home another score from work. This is the third watermelon box that I snagged. The bottom is open so I want to try a hot compost experiment with it. I have some temperature probes that I can use in it.

Attachments

• Box32.jpg
    Box32.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Box31.jpg
    Box31.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 2
When I first looked at the pictures, I thought you'd gotten a "thrown out" Jeep. :lau

What kind of thermometer did you get? I've been debating if I want to get a cheap one or spend $120 for a sturdy one.

Let us know how the composting goes!

Back
Top Bottom