Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Light Brahmas are beautiful, I love black and white animals.
But they eat a ton and are not great layers after the first year.
I've had them before.
I'll probably sell 2 of these before winter.
Rose my turken black lady, eats a ton and a half. Her ball on her chest it is always full (gizzard?)

BTW, how did you make the roost bar with the board? I was looking at your pictures trying to figure them out. I have no clue how to insert the perch into the 2x4. I can cut the edges but in the middle I have no clue. What size boards do you have on the borders of the board?
Thank you!

(gizzard?)
Crop.

I have no clue how to insert the perch into the 2x4. I can cut the edges but in the middle I have no clue. What size boards do you have on the borders of the board?
For the notch I cut the two outer cuts then try to turn the jigsaw(carefully with a narrow blade) to do the first part of cross cut. Finished with a wood rasp.
2x2's(well 2x4 ripped) on the edge.

We all need special angels (people) at times. Consider that friend a blessing in disguise.
This guy and his wife (who couldn't come at the time; she had to work Saturday) are our best friends. There is no disguise at all. They are ALL blessing. :love

These are the people we bought our Falcon plow from. Here is my one complaint about them: They live so far away! It's about an hour drive to get to their house.

Yesterday, I started digging holes for my potatoes. At about #39, my back started hurting. I never felt anything "pop," just all of a sudden a shovelful of dirt was heavy and hurt to lift.

So today I finished by digging on my hands and knees with a trowel. I got all the potatoes planted, but haven't done the onions yet. I'm not sure if I'll get anything else done in the garden today.

It sure has warmed up! I need to start thinking about planting beans.

@Sally PB You did pretty good. I hear you about being hot.
So this is what I did. They made a mess all over, Why not? so I did a little changes around the inside. I had put a pallet for them to squat for the night but of course Sophia found it great to hide from the others when they run her. I was looking at @aart's pictures and trying to figure out the roost with the board because mine was done differently even though I was told that it does what is supposed to do, :bow. So I found 2 4x4 laying around in a pile (different sizes but do not feel like cutting today because it is hot and muggy to have wood dust all over, and laid them under and place an old step I had from when I first broke my ankle and put it on top. Put their feeder and waterer on top and a little grit on the side using their old feeder. Right where the pallet was. Not it is sitting on a side because it is heavy for me to bring it down on the ladder. No regular steps yet. Then I had a rubber container and shoved some dirt and a little DE and mixed it well. Put it in another corner to see if they get their bath there. They do need a South window to get them more air flowing. I just go every so often and just give them treats and sit by the door with it open so the wind goes right through. Here are some pics.

20210517_124704.jpg 20210517_124714.jpg 20210517_125956.jpg 20210517_133616.jpg

Look at the huge crop on this bird!
Rose5172021.jpg
People have told me that Rose is a hen. She is so big and loud. Would she be a rooster? This bird is 14 weeks old.

The coop add on is done! We got the metal on the roof last weekend, and it rained that night. Here's the entire thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-add-on.1461676/#post-24343542

Now, if only I'd get the email for when my chicks would be ready... I do have a use for the dog crate I use as a brooder, though. But I'll be done with it by June 1st, so that should be in time since they are available for pickup in "June," according to the website.

Good Morning lovelies!

I think I am all up to date on the posts. I was going to removed my computer and take it to the shop but they open at 10am so I have some time. I am trying to load up some pictures. It has been 2 nights that my ladies are outside. The window gets cover opened in the morning and down at night. They are having fun with the space. They run around after each other. Funny, I think they are trying to figure out who is the kahuna of them all. Sophia has no chance. She is ran by all of them. Funny how they confront each other and ruffle their necks. Seems like a cock fight which is illegal now but back when I was growing up, it was a sport. Blanch, the fluffy cheeks and green legs confronted Phoebe, the white leghorn and Blanch lower her head after a second. Interesting to watch.

So here is the north side opening where the pop door will go. We closed it with a metal thing he had and used hardware cloth and covered that opening. Then we put a piece of cover that is used on RV's for water protection and made it like a curtain that opens and closes to let them see outside, get air and light.
View attachment 2673641
We cover as many openings and crack that could. There are a few but I can caulk them with the girls inside. SO I put the last of the shavings down and it was not enough.
View attachment 2673642
So I compensated with alfalfa hay that I had for the run. They eat out of it so I guess it was fine.
View attachment 2673647
Here is the perching with the board version of my husband,lol I cannot put the PDZ because it will fall between the boards and end up in the floor. "but it does holds poop"
I might re-do this on my own later on when he is nowhere to be around, :confused:
View attachment 2673643

Here is Sophia getting some water before being chased again, :lau
View attachment 2673652
Rose my rooster looking turken, I think she is the big momma.
View attachment 2673654
But she kind of steps down in front of Phoebe. Phoebe can ruffle those neck feathers big time, :lau:lau
View attachment 2673656

I tried the little Tia and Tamera, the Golden Laced Seabrights but they were confronted by all of them and picked on them, so I have them inside until they get a little older and can defend themselves better.
Those are my girls! Now I hope to get all of my pictures back from the old hard drive so I can make pictures and frame them in their home. I still have to put the nest boxes, a stair for the perch because it is too tall for them as it is and husband made it too high and permanent and also hang their food and water. They are making all kinds of messes in there. Then figure out a place to make like a storage of their food. It is in aluminum cans now but inside my house by the kitchen door. They do lot let me hold them anymore. My girls have grown up!
Everything looks great! It’s so much fun to watch them do what chickens do. Now you can concentrate on your littles and give them a little extra ❤️

Back
Top Bottom