Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I just got my email from Meyer Hatchery!! My chicks arrived at the USPS in Mansfield, Ohio at 2:13 and are suppose to be arriving tomorrow by 3pm! I am so excited. I’m still so new at this whole thing and cant believe how much these little cuties have taken over my existence.

Covid has been a blessing in disguise because it made me slow down and appreciate life’s true pleasures. I promised I would wait until my 5 original ladies turned a year old until I got another batch. I mixed things up again and got a Cream Legbar, Black Copper Maran, Lavender Orpington (hat tip to you @RaZ ;)) and another classic White Leghorn. Fingers crossed they all turn out to be pullets, but I wouldn’t be disappointed with a rooster. I could at least let them out to free range while im outside.

I am totally freaked out to let them out fearing they are going to get a taste of the good life and never go back into the coop. I’m not ready to lose one to a predator yet when they have a nice protected run. Every day I pick weeds out of my dirt patches for them since the run has no vegetation.

Getting the tub ready for them tonight with fresh wood shavings and chick feed. I will need your advice on when to let them hang out in the coop for awhile while the bigs are in the run.

Boy I hope they all make the trip!:fl

I'm pretty jealous of the nice painted walls that Dreamz has in her coop. I'm using old feed bags on my walls. I overlap them like shingles. I scrounged a couple of working ceiling fans. I first thought of using them in the garage but then thought I could use one in the coop.

Also in the recycling column are 3 more of those watermelon boxes from work. They make an excellent brooder. If anyone wants one shoot me a message for my location.

My garden has been raked, tilled, compost added, and tilled again. The native land around the garden plot is bursting with wild strawberry, raspberry, horsetails, and native prairie grasses. My hops are planted but I'll wait until my next day off to plant anything. I also will set some more fence posts since I increased the garden size. Plenty of fencing on hand. The city neighbors next door are going to bring up extra veggies to plant on their trips up here. They have a landscape business and get extra plants that don't always fit in the customer's plot. Rather than waste them, they will bring me them to me. Either to plant or compost. Finally I have a good neighbor.

That's a lot of comb and wattle for a female.
Check pics from around 6 weeks.
All of my pictures are gone but was able to get this one from a post I made when they were 6 weeks old. There was nothing compared to now on the crown and waddles. This is very scary. I cannot have roosters. This is breaking my heart. Roseat6wks7.jpg

I found these on the internet of a hen and a rooster. What do you think Raz? Aart?

Turken2051-100x100.jpg Turken2041-100x100.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty jealous of the nice painted walls that Dreamz has in her coop. I'm using old feed bags on my walls. I overlap them like shingles. I scrounged a couple of working ceiling fans. I first thought of using them in the garage but then thought I could use one in the coop.

Also in the recycling column are 3 more of those watermelon boxes from work. They make an excellent brooder. If anyone wants one shoot me a message for my location.

My garden has been raked, tilled, compost added, and tilled again. The native land around the garden plot is bursting with wild strawberry, raspberry, horsetails, and native prairie grasses. My hops are planted but I'll wait until my next day off to plant anything. I also will set some more fence posts since I increased the garden size. Plenty of fencing on hand. The city neighbors next door are going to bring up extra veggies to plant on their trips up here. They have a landscape business and get extra plants that don't always fit in the customer's plot. Rather than waste them, they will bring me them to me. Either to plant or compost. Finally I have a good neighbor.
Honey, that is because it is still freshly paint. It will not be like that much longer, :lau :lau I am saving the feed bags as well to cover the walls too, so you are ok. I am also thinking of a fan for the coop as well. It is getting hot for them and wind... can't count on it because it changes. Sometimes there is none. Since it is not finished, I go and open the main door and just sit to read or play a game on my cell just to let air go through. You have given me a push to get them a fan. Those watermelon boxes are gold! Wish I can find some in my area. I have gone everywhere and they do not have any. Are the stores different in the west coast? :barnie

Nice that you are being able to work on your garden. Mine is completely forgotten. Might not have one this year. Between the coop and the fence and the new problems with neighbor, it is consuming. My head is not working properly with all that is going on, to include loss of information from computer and just today sent the heart monitor back to Ann Arbor for results. Anyways, you are doing great, Raz!

Honey, that is because it is still freshly paint. It will not be like that much longer, :lau :lau I am saving the feed bags as well to cover the walls too, so you are ok. I am also thinking of a fan for the coop as well. It is getting hot for them and wind... can't count on it because it changes. Sometimes there is none. Since it is not finished, I go and open the main door and just sit to read or play a game on my cell just to let air go through. You have given me a push to get them a fan. Those watermelon boxes are gold! Wish I can find some in my area. I have gone everywhere and they do not have any. Are the stores different in the west coast? :barnie

Nice that you are being able to work on your garden. Mine is completely forgotten. Might not have one this year. Between the coop and the fence and the new problems with neighbor, it is consuming. My head is not working properly with all that is going on, to include loss of information from computer and just today sent the heart monitor back to Ann Arbor for results. Anyways, you are doing great, Raz!
I’m sorry you lost your photos. You might want to consider a thumb drive key chain. They run about $15 dollars and can plug into your computer and smart device if you have photos stored on your phone. I was a life saver for me before I upgraded my cloud storage and lost everything on my phone. Always good to have a physical backup.

CHICKS HAVE ARRIVED AT THE USPS!!!!!

I have a question to pose....what are your thoughts on heat lamp v. Heat plate? I used the heat lamp last year and bought the Brinsea warmer plate for the next batch. Which is better in your opinions?

I will be picking them up after lunch! So excited.
I am not a pro but I used the lamp at the beginning but changed it to plate. Much more safe and easier. I have an H&K plate with 3 high positions and lifted as needed.
Now I am excited,:wee

Back
Top Bottom