Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Thanks everyone. At some point I won’t be such a spaz. Until then your feedback is greatly appreciated. My grandma never made it look this hard. :he
There's a LOT to learn!
Some of it can be heartbreaking.
You probably weren't privy to the harder parts when watching grandma.

True and my gram was a total bada**!

Her generation knew what hard work meant and also what it meant to be self sufficient. I hope to start living more simply even if it means a bit of sacrifice of convenience. Not that I sacrifice so much!! Have a good day everyone. The sun is out and the temps are cool!

the coop is getting the roof put on today! Finally!!

Speaking of roofs on runs. I took the tarps off the run a couple days ago. It's under cover of trees and has shady spots all day, so that's nice. But what a difference! I remember thinking when I put the tarps on in the fall that it was dark and gloomy under there. Now it's bright and cheerful. Definitely going to put a clear roof of some kind on it this fall.

I'm wondering if that gloominess is part of why my pullets didn't lay last winter.

Unless I convince DH otherwise, we'll be moving the coop and run to its summer home in a couple weeks. I'm actually thinking that up by the house might be the better spot. Yes, it's cooler down by the garden; you can feel the temp drop as you walk down the hill. But it's shadier and breezier by the house. I can create the shade with the tarps, but I can't make the breeze. The air is much stiller in that little valley.

Pros of by the house: Natural shade, electricity when needed, convenience for me, possibly more secure.

Cons: Run enlargement is possible, but more limited because we have to have access to the propane tank, well head, and wood piles.

Pros of by the garden: I'm down there more in the summer, run enlargement possibilities are better, a garden/chicken moat would be nice.

Cons: Having to move everything twice a year, as we can't realistically leave it down there in the winter; farther from the house and thus less convenient and maybe less secure.

Or have I gotten spoiled and lazy with everything being up by the house for the last 5 months?

That's a huge con, IMO.
Thanks for the input. I value your opinion!

Yeah, it's a big con for me too. I was just realizing how much I'm dreading having to move everything, even though DH designed the coop on a trailer so that it was moveable.

Last summer it was fun to go down the hill to see the chickens, especially as it got closer to the possibility of eggs. By October, I was ready to NOT have to walk down the hill. Maybe it was the cold and damp, but the hill seems steeper and longer in the fall. Certainly not going to do it in the winter. I've already had a broken bone from a slip and fall (at work), and it took a YEAR to get everything back. TOFTS. (Too old for that ****)

There are always trade-offs, there's hardly ever a perfect spot. I'd vote for electricity, water access, and shade. It's possible to run water to a frost free hydrant, and a buried power line, but it will still be a nice icy winter hike to that coop. Ours is a bit of a walk, but flat ground, and crampon type thingies on the boots for traction on snow and ice.
Too close to the house might invite flies, smell, and rooster crowing right at the bedroom windows.
Mary

Too close to the house might invite flies, smell, and rooster crowing right at the bedroom windows.
The coop/run location is at the other side of the garage. I can hear my roo crow when the windows are open, but it's a nice country noise, to me. Even the next door neighbor likes the sound. We're spread out, so they're about 80-100 yards away.

Knock on wood, no flies. And smell has not been an issue either. My only "loss" is a second clothes line. Ok, so do laundry more often, instead of 3 loads in one day. I can do that.
Ours is a bit of a walk, but flat ground, and crampon type thingies on the boots for traction on snow and ice.
Yeah, flat ground to walk on in the winter is a MUST for me. That's why we moved it back up by the house last fall. The crampons are so helpful. Love 'em!

Talking myself into leaving it by the house... Just texted Dh and asked him to think about that... :fl

You will realize how much you enjoy them being near your house! You will feel more connected to them. At least that’s how I feel with mine near my house. And it is indeed much more convenient with electricity and monitoring.

Good luck @Sally PB. Btw - I like your idea of the clear roof. I’m thinking about blowing out the other side of the coop to add another run that wont have a metal roof, but I would see using the plastic corrugated panels as an alternative to give some cover in the rain but still provide some sunlight, which my run does not get. GREAT IDEA!!!

I would see using the plastic corrugated panels as an alternative to give some cover in the rain but still provide some sunlight, which my run does not get. GREAT IDEA!!!
We plan to add some kind of polycarbonate roofing in the fall. We almost bought it a couple weeks ago when we made a Menards run, but decided it could wait a bit to spread out the cost of building supplies. Hey, maybe the price will come down! :lau

Back
Top Bottom