Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

**Update on Pixie**
Was able to get her to her regular VET and she weighted 13.4lbs but had high temperature and the neck area is very stiff. She is under pain medication and antibiotics for the next 10 days. After that if she is not back to normal, I have to take her back to check if any discs have been damaged. The bill was not too bad but hoping for the best. That discs thing sounds more expensive. Especially now that is all about DVD's, :lau
No eggs today. but my recordings show the little Sophia, my only Naked Neck went in various times throughout the day like if she was sizing them, :lau

Yippeeeee! DH is fine with the coop/run staying up by the house! No arm twisting, no laying out the pros and cons, no pleading. (I don't do that anyway.)

So now I'm thinking about how to enlarge the run without encroaching on access to the well head, propane tank, or wood piles. I do need to relocate one end of the clothes line, which just means finding another stud on the garage wall to screw an eye bolt into.

The current run is built on a metal frame that was an unfinished green house on a neighbor's property. I was chatting with her and jokingly said it would make a good chicken run. She said, "Take it! I want it out of there. And here's some more frame stuff that might go with it."

The run is built on the frame; I'm going to use the "frame stuff that might go with it" to build the addition onto. It would be too easy if they were all the same size and shape, so it's going to look a little pieced together. But the price can't be beat. I'll have to rebuild the end to fit the frame of the new part.

The current run is built on a metal frame that was an unfinished green house on a neighbor's property. I was chatting with her and jokingly said it would make a good chicken run. She said, "Take it! I want it out of there. And here's some more frame stuff that might go with it."
Sweet!!

Broody back in crate.
Let her out after 48 hours, but she's not 'done'.
New cage feeder.
1623878290880.png

The run is built on the frame; I'm going to use the "frame stuff that might go with it" to build the addition onto. It would be too easy if they were all the same size and shape, so it's going to look a little pieced together. But the price can't be beat. I'll have to rebuild the end to fit the frame of the new part.
You've seen me post before about scrounging stuff and repurposing it. I'm happy to see others doing the same.

My sister's chickens had their first and second predator experiences this week. Apparently, the coop door (no locking mechanism, could have been blown open by the wind) was wide open one morning, one of their chickens was dead, and another had been attacked (is ok, but was really freaked out). The next morning around 4 am, my sister heard the chickens clucking and could tell they were on the ground, not the roost. They went out there, and a raccoon was on the roof climbing into the coop. Apparently, it killed all of their neighbor's chickens one of those nights by digging in underneath. It only partially ate one. So, now they have to lock the girls in their pole barn at night until they catch the raccoon.

They've had chickens for years with this set up and have never had any predator problems. (This is why I will be spending a little extra to build a predator-proof coop and run, whenever I get to the point of preparing for chickens, because they seem to find the chickens eventually.)

Hello all, I posted in the rehome, board, but figured I'd post here too. We have confirmed that one of our two buffs is a cockerel, and are looking to rehome him as Roos aren't allowed in our part of Lansing. He is about 2months old and far as I have noticed isn't hostile towards me. If anyone would be interested, or know someone, please send a DM or response! We also have a lavendar we are keeping an eye on, as we think they may also be a roo, but not sure at this time

Attach0_20210617_081903.jpg

20210611_073113.jpg
20210609_075005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom