Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Sorry Randy that you are going through this again. Keep looking, there has to be something for you out there. Sorry about the puppy, but maybe not a good time.
Had a great week of camping in Gaylord and Mackinaw. Had 8 people in the camper for the weekend. Best part, my son in law was with us all week and he loves to cook! Whipped up awesome dishes on the Blackstone. Even had funnel cakes.
Was a good week with family.
Dream, just put rocks around the supports. They give them away on Market Place, check them out. Don't worry about the holes under the coop. That's a great place for them to dust bathe. They'll make one hole, move over and make another and fill the first hole up. etc etc Just put rocks around the cement blocks.
Have a good day......................

We finally got the frame up on the run addition yesterday. I wasn't going to push DH about it; we had a busy weekend and he worked overnight Saturday night. But it's up now and I can do most of the rest of it by myself.

I'm wrapping it in 2x3 welded wire fencing, then putting 1/2" HC over that. I need to build a frame and door into the end, and that's a couple of days away from happening. So the chickens are in their run still, looking out at mom, wondering what's going on.

I'm going to put chicken wire over the top for aerial protection. We plan to put clear polycarbonate panels on the roof of the original part, for more light. The new part will probably get the tarps for its roof; it's farther under the trees, so it doesn't get as much light anyway. Maybe it'll get polycarb panels next year.

The two roof lines are totally different angles. Oh well. Both of the frames were free.

Pictures eventually... :)

We found that putting the hardware cloth up first, and the woven wire over that on the outside was easier. Your welded wire might work either way.
I was worried about chicks possibly getting stuck in the woven wire if it was on the inside. Also, wanted the stronger wire outside.
Hmmm... I'm not so far along that I can't change the order I put them on. I'm going to think about that. Thanks for the input.

Hi Lovelies! Missed me? Probably not.

I am ok. Just getting with stuff. And then more stuff. From the cold, I have to say that got scared and went to get tested and of course it was the flu. Then not that I have so much on my mind, if any left, the Hub added more stuff. He has a piece of land, well two, and decided out of the blue to put a 4 sale sign and put my cell number all over. So now all west Michigan have my number, :lau Not that I care too much. If I do not recognize the number, you bet they will end in voicemail. If it is important or someone I know, then I will call back. Anyways, I told him that it will be my way which is always the best way and he agreed. He knows I am good at this stuff, :love I got it sold in 3 calls. So had never sold a property so I had to get information and some research and sat them both last Saturday and they both signed. This morning, took the papers to the Title Company and that ball is rolling.

Found a lady at HFF and she was so helpful. They had the light brahmas for 2.99 each. I wanted some so bad but I am not really into chickens with feathers in their legs,:confused:,don't ask me why because I have no clue either, :idunno

Phoebe, the leghorn keeps having double eggcidents daily. 2 eggs dropped from the roost. Since the Hub began a new job this morning and had to be up by 530am, I got up at 5am and by 520, I opened the door to the coop and got Phoebe and sat her in her box. She only sat for about 20 minutes. Then up and nothing. They all came out and it was still a bit dark but I left them for a bit while I did my morning Scripture reading. Anyways, by 730am, I went outside and brought them a squash and an apple all in pieces and brought them all back into the coop since I was going to be out most of the morning.

Went to Sam's to pick up my order, went to the Hub to give him my card for gas, went to Fruitland township and paid for the taxes on the sold property, and then stopped at HFF. After that, I went to the Title company and left the documents they had signed on Saturday. Got home and was so wanting to get in bed, :hitbut got the girls back out, left the curtain open and the dog watching the chickens from the inside. She will bark if sees something wrong. Got in bed and was passed out like a rock. Got up when Hub activated the alarm and one of the girls had escaped from the run and was outside. He brought her in.

So, since I had neglected them most of the morning, I went to the coop and cleaned the floor since they were there for the morning and I had already cleaned the poop board under the roost earlier and Sophia, the naked neck, hopped into the nest boxes and I found a green egg. Small but green. So I left them there until she sat for a bit but she did nothing. I collected my eggs, all 4 of them. Did I mentioned I got a green egg? I am so excited about it.
20210802_150350.jpg
But Phoebe finally laid another big white egg and Rachel the regular small egg.
20210802_150338.jpg
And of course, Monica my ISA Brown who always give me a good size dark brown egg.
20210802_152550.jpg
Had to open up the coop to let it air out. I do not like for smells to just stay inside.
20210802_162736.jpg 20210802_162752.jpg
Here are some pictures of the run with the roof and one part with the shade cloth and the net because apparently hawks just became aware that there are chickens in this area. 20210802_162832_HDR.jpg 20210802_162809.jpg 20210802_162839.jpg
I made them a dust bath with all theingredients for nothing. They go under the coopand anywhere inthe yard but here.
20210802_162847.jpg

20210802_162939.jpg 20210802_163005_HDR.jpg
Here we are just chilling in the cool breeze! They are hilarious and so big.
20210802_163328_HDR.jpg 20210802_163337_HDR.jpg 20210802_163342.jpg

20210802_163355.jpg
The little Sebrights love to follow Phoebe everywhere but of course keeping the distance, lol
20210731_152722.jpg 20210731_152738.jpg 20210731_152744.jpg
And of course, Monica wants to peck the boots,lol

20210802_163420.jpg
If it was up to them, they will follow me inside too! 20210802_065135.jpg

I was talking about eating eggs.
How is (c) done, anyways? Do you buy labels, or right it on cartons?

I wouldn't sell rotten eggs to a customer that comes to our house.

Also, I have only 35 laying hens.
I write on the carton that they haven't been washed and should be washed before use. wouldn't take much more to add they aren't produced in an inspected facility... but I know who I sell to mostly, so I don't put anything on the carton for them cause they know the deal.
You can get blank egg cartons at TSC, FFH etc. If you want to get fancy and spend the extra $on cartons and labels you certainly can, but for me the cost of selling eggs with recycled egg cartons from the store and the going rate for eggs barely cover the cost of feed.

Back
Top Bottom