Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We're getting the trees too close to the house taken down Nov 22. The chips will be at the bottom of the driveway, where they will be handy, but totally out of the way. I'm wondering if I want some in a pile closer to the run? The driveway is pretty steep!

But they have to dry a bit, first, right? I wonder if they'll dry out enough to use by December. Or will the hard freezes of winter kill any mold, if I cover the pile with a tarp?
Closer but still out of the way might be a good idea.

Let it sit for a couple weeks, then scrape off outer layer to use in run.
I still just scrape the outer layer off the pile and only put an inch or two in the run at a time.
Do not cover with a tarp, that will encourage growth and there is really no need.

Freezing will keep mold from growing but it won't kill it. At least not the species native to these climates.

I've been afraid to dig into the bark around the knots on the coop walls. I finally started on it. The bark and maybe surrounding wood is saturated with sap. They mostly acute diagonals. And scary big. The first three pictures are the first one. I'm not doing any more of that kind until I see how it turns out.

The lower end of the J goes all the way through the board also - just down enough that the solidish part of the board overlaps it.

Attachments

• 2DD4440D-B6B7-4ABB-BD78-0F361610A100.jpeg
    2DD4440D-B6B7-4ABB-BD78-0F361610A100.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 1
  • EB0CE071-9F4C-41F2-BA19-F25EE82B61F2.jpeg
    EB0CE071-9F4C-41F2-BA19-F25EE82B61F2.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 1
  • F73524E5-2117-4BB0-AE8D-AF6722C3ECDC.jpeg
    F73524E5-2117-4BB0-AE8D-AF6722C3ECDC.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 1
I think someone is coming in in the middle of the night and beating on you. :eek:You are more accident prone then anyone I know, Please take care.
I'm going to have to put cameras up to see just what happens to me during the night.
I never had any real injuries my whole life. Since moving here I've had more than my fair share.

Went with a neighbor down to his woods to help cut and load fire wood for his house. We filled up the bed of his pick up and came home. I turned on the TV and napped on the couch. I didn't work all that hard today but I was pretty tired.

Friday I'll work around the house & yard. And get the car ready for the car show on Saturday

Randy, put a light on every time you get up in the dark, don't stagger around out there without it! And hang on to something, cane, furniture, something, on your way. and don't stand until you feel in control, not at all dizzy.
And talk to your doctor about this!
Mary
I was kidding about the cameras.
I have night lights in the bedroom and bathroom.
I've been researching the side effects of the meds I'm on. I think that I should stop taking them and detoxify. I'll definitely be talking to the cardiologist about it.

I have a pile of chips dumped by the electric company trimmers last fall, and it has been aging well. I prefer to wait until the chips break down some, and you start finding insects and worms in the pile. I like to get a couple of inches in the entire outdoor pan before we start getting snow, that lets the chickens pack it down some so that when you're moving the snow around you're not constantly getting caught on chips.
But we probably get more snow up here than you do.

Back
Top Bottom