Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Flamingos turned into vultures
1632330254222.jpeg

I bet we'll have a fire tonight. It'll be chilly by morning.

We have a lot of wild apple trees on our property. Last year there were only 1 or 2 apples per tree. This year, they're loaded! DH likes little apple bits in his morning pancake, so I peeled and chopped 4 quart bags' worth for the freezer. And that was about 1/3 of the apples we hurriedly picked the other day about 7 pm in fading light.

The adults and the pullets are each minding their own business. Even Lark, "the meanie," is leaving them alone most of the time, as long as they aren't too close by. The three pullets hang together as their own little flock.

The Jubilee Orpington's comb and wattles are still very small, but are getting quite a dark pink. Really hope that means she'll lay this fall.

Definitely a damp and chilly first day of fall...another tomorrow here....
...but the next week looks pretty nice. Sunny and 50's and 70's.

Was thinking about the leaf color discussion.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/fall-colors/science-of-fall-colors
"A succession of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp but not freezing nights seems to bring about the most spectacular color displays. During these days, lots of sugars are produced in the leaf but the cool nights and the gradual closing of veins going into the leaf prevent these sugars from moving out. These conditions – lots of sugar and light – spur production of the brilliant anthocyanin pigments, which tint reds, purples, and crimson. Because carotenoids are always present in leaves, the yellow and gold colors remain fairly constant from year to year.

The amount of moisture in the soil also affects autumn colors. Like the weather, soil moisture varies greatly from year to year. The countless combinations of these two highly variable factors assure that no two autumns can be exactly alike. A late spring, or a severe summer drought, can delay the onset of fall color by a few weeks. A warm period during fall will also lower the intensity of autumn colors. A warm wet spring, favorable summer weather, and warm sunny fall days with cool nights should produce the most brilliant autumn colors."

It's been a cold, nasty wind howling down the lane from the lake all day. Chickens and ducks had little interest in being outside today. Can't say that I blame them. I stayed in for the most part myself. Arthritis was not happy today. Did do a bit of housework within moderation. Don't want to overwork those bad joints, eh? :D I hate being bored.

It's been a cold, nasty wind howling down the lane from the lake all day. Chickens and ducks had little interest in being outside today. Can't say that I blame them. I stayed in for the most part myself. Arthritis was not happy today. Did do a bit of housework within moderation. Don't want to overwork those bad joints, eh? :D I hate being bored.
Do those stretches that the PT tells you to do raz, or else I'm going to have to put you on the table and dig into all of those really fun ones that will have you howling and making noises that only other animals can hear. Pec minor, subscaps, Serattus anterior.

Did manage to make it to one GVSU football game this year. The first game of the season was supposed to be against Edinboro University on September 2, a thursday night game. But Edinboro had a bunch of kids test positive for Covid and they tried to push it back to Saturday, and then they got more test results back and they had more cases, so they canceled the game and while they called around to a couple of other programs that had their game canceled on them because the other team was sick, nobody wanted to face GVSU with only a couple days to get ready for them, even if we came to them. But the second game with Pueblo went off without a hitch and it felt good to be doing something kinda normal once again. Didn't make it to the Lacrosse game, and their next game is at Michigan Tech. Not quite ready to do a road trip up there just yet right now. Although they might just be getting some great color up there and they got some nice trees around their field.

Last edited:
Morning all!! Fall is coming in with a bit of a punch. 😱

hope everyone is starting to think about preparations for the fall. I’m thinking seriously about the corrugated clear roofing panels to attach for the run to keep the wind and drifting out.

I also have GREAT NEWS!!! One of my littles that I got in may laid her first perfect little white egg yesterday. So cute and I’m so very proud of her:)

stay warm and dry today. The sun will come out…tomorrow:)

Attachments

• EFC35D93-9FFE-4021-89E0-F1A3588F2761.jpeg
    EFC35D93-9FFE-4021-89E0-F1A3588F2761.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom