Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Do you mean Novogen Browns? I hear they are good layers and cold sturdy.
Yes they are Novogen Browns

Here is the description from the Hatchery
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/novogen-layer.asp
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/breed-spotlight-novogen-brown/

Physical Characteristics
The first thing to know about the Novogen Brown is that it’s what we call a “red sex link” chicken. What this means is that both the hens and roosters can be easily identified by their colors right when they hatch. This happens because two non-Novogen Brown chickens are bred together to create this ultimate egg-layer.

Our particular breed was developed in France, which draws from a cross between Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White genetics. As a result, we get beautiful reddish-brown hens, mostly white roosters, and extra-large brown eggs.

Speaking of eggs, we weren’t kidding when we called these chickens top-quality egg-layers. On average, Novogen Brown hens produce 395 eggs in 72 weeks of laying. They even start laying eggs as early as 20 weeks of age! At first, these chickens will only lay at about 50% their average capacity, but at full production, they’ll give you 4-6 extra-large dark brown eggs a week that have excellent shell strength.

Last edited:
So many interesting breeds raised by the folks on this forum. I've obtained quite a few varieties over the years from a number of Michigan BYCers. Right now I have a barnyard mixed flock. 6 different breeds but the flock dynamics work quite well.

When attrition thins this current bunch I'd like to go to lavender orps. Maybe as a breeding programme. :confused:
For now, I'm happy with what I have.

Hello, hello, hello! You guys have been so busy here. I have been MIA for a while now. I am so sorry. Yeap! I did had my hair cut and I am ok. Have had it shorter than this before. I do miss my hair. Got so used to it. Thank you everyone for the lovely compliments. I think I did it out of spite? Well, Hub liked the long hair mostly. It took me about 3 hours to straighten it out (ladies can understand) So , since he is a roommate for now, I just had it cut. Wore a beannie for about 4 days but by Friday, as I was coming inside from the chickens, took my sweater off and my beannie out with it. He just looked and froze. Darn, and there was not a ring camera in that area,lol His expression was worth more than anyone can imagine. I am not evil by any means but I do enjoy a little trouble making,lol

Anyways, Got the 6 chickens and I am so mad. There are Wyndottes and they are terrosists for sure. Alone with the rest are fine but when they are all 3 together they terrorize my original girls. I divided the run and gave them a piece of the land,lol But being cold, I bring them into the coop and they sleep in a dog crate with a double roost piece that I made for the old ones when they were little inside the black tub. The problem is that I have to put them in at night and get them out in the morning. Read around and found about pinless peepers. So I order them because , men, what are the odds that I can leave that thing on until winter is over and they can just live together and use the automatic door and I am all excited.
Hold it there my friends! Tried this morning and it is terrible to put on and it goes in their nostrils. I tried the best I could but got one of them hurt. It was horrible. Then when Hub was in from work, I asked him if I hold the chicken and he placed the thig on. He took them and the pliers and asked me where toplace it. He was like, no way I am doing that to that chicken. Seems like it will hurt and I do not want to hurt that chicken even if we do not like them for being so aggressive. So, Here I am with a package of pinless peepers that I cannot use. I am not trying again for sure.

Now the funny part: ALso read about putting vaseline on the combs and waddles of the chickens to avoid frostbite. Well, there are 2 leghorns with huge cowns and waddles. So, here I come to save the day and got them inside and put the vaseline on them. They almost fell asleep on me while I am massaging them. Then I took them back. When I went to get them in bed, (well the other ones need to be picked up and carried into the dog crate) I saw one of them that is filthy as heck all over. They knucklehead got on the dirt and with vaseline on her, all the dirt is all over her all stuck. She loks like she came from a mud park. There went the other advise!!!

The coop is holding on to about 28 and 33 in the mornings even though it has been around 19 and 20. They have gone outside in teh snow but they do not stay long and get back inside. Good becasue I am not planning of staying outside at all.

Went to Ann Arbor Yesterday again after the 29th when I got my C19 booster and I texted Mary to see how she was doing but I guess she was very busy or at work. I have not talked to her in a while. Have talked to Michelle the other day and Sally today. You girls are amazing. I need to hit Rose too but she might be doing some of her crazy stuff somewhere,lol
Raz, lucky I had no way of contacting you. But one day I will hit ya up for that beer you offered,lol
Thanksgiving was ok for me. I cooked and served myself and some in a bowl for the chickens and had my meal in the chicken run. It was great! They did not made a comment at all. They were too busy eating,lol Then I came in and had a nap with my Pixie. OH, It was all my girls and I day!

Anyways, I miss you all and the main reason I am not around much is because finally at almost a year of moving, have decided to begin opening boxes again,lol So,it is like moving again for me.
I hope you all are having a blessed time with all of your families and friends over for the season. Be safe!
Raz, you are not alone! you have a very good neighbor there and us here!
Love you all!

~Hugs~and~Kisses~

Back
Top Bottom