Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

My potatoes keep very well through the winter in a cardboard box in my basement. Cool and dark. I don't know how humid the air is down there, but it's more humid than the REALLY dry air upstairs. I have used potatoes into March/April. Then I let them go on with sprouting and use them as my seed potatoes.

I haven't tried canning potatoes. If I have a bumper crop this year, I may try it. WARNING!!! Potatoes MUST be pressure canned! Sorry for the caps and exclamation points if you already knew this. :)

@Sally PB lol Is ok.Point prooved,lol I did but you are not too cook but a few minutes and they were hard. Open time, they were good and preserved but unable to cook more to soften them.

I do not have a basement anymore. Winter is find in the pantry since it is a small room outside the house and stays cold but summer stays warm.

Aside from my 4 RIR, the other 8 were sold to me as 4 sapphire gems, & 4 blue Plymouth rocks. Where they correct in the breeds? I’ve also heard that sapphire gems & blue Plymouth rocks are pretty much the same thing. Also, all were sold as pullets but Paisley I believe is male.

Attachments

• D0245C8D-E4D2-4276-8671-1B9189E1CF59.jpeg
    D0245C8D-E4D2-4276-8671-1B9189E1CF59.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 41300929-3E09-44D9-A70D-516BE7148C1F.jpeg
    41300929-3E09-44D9-A70D-516BE7148C1F.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1F0E5881-38CC-469A-A83C-F872A1E4849D.jpeg
    1F0E5881-38CC-469A-A83C-F872A1E4849D.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 1
Altitude does affect how long you need to pressure can, but since no place in Michigan are you much more than 300 ft above sea level it's not really an issue here, you can follow the basic recommendation without adjusting it as you would have to if you were on the high plains or in the mountains.
Sometimes information in guides is old information, safe canning recommendations can change with time and it's always best to try to get your canning and preserving information from a good reputable source, not what someone's great granny did. State, county, and University extension services are great free sources of all kinds of information.

@1muttsfan Thank you so much. I think it was on one of those almanac things that I used. But I might try it again. Right now I cooked a bunch before going bad and hope to make a potato salad tomorrow.

On today, pain is heavy but tried to ignore it. Only slept about 3 hours last night. Got up and was out cutting grass since 8am. (Huskvarna was fixed) STill took all day, moving tree branches, raking leaves and pine needles, tried to use a rake on the area of the garden and gave up. The girls were all out all day with me following us and scratching every corner. Pitbull, of course, trying to get to Rachel but she runs and flies right on to me. However, all I have to say is Pitbull No and he goes away. Baby mama is no longer broody but is not laying at all. Pitbull crows at me every time he seems me taking his future children,lol
I am so exhausted.
Hope everyones enjoy this long weekend with family and friends. I have to start tomorrow with taking Pixie to PetSmart because she also was out all day and her paws are green,lol She needs a shave for real,lol
My neighbor from the other street is taking me to a friend on Tuesday to get some plants and to learn to compost. You tube explains but I guess I need real live visual to see if I can learn something more than what I am doing. Hub is to be working on a raised bed, a real raised bed,lol About 4ft high off the ground. That one will be just for herbs such as oregano, cilantro, basil and culantro. I am so much hoping for very little sun these days. I am excited about a garden but I will not be under the sun for sure,lol

Well, catch up on you guys later. Love you all!

~Hugs~and~Kisses~

Aside from my 4 RIR, the other 8 were sold to me as 4 sapphire gems, & 4 blue Plymouth rocks. Where they correct in the breeds? I’ve also heard that sapphire gems & blue Plymouth rocks are pretty much the same thing. Also, all were sold as pullets but Paisley I believe is male.
I think he is too but I haven't been trying to educate my eye about this for very long.

Back
Top Bottom