Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hmmm, might be karma then, eh?
I'm hoping my twice broody (and broken) hen will want to be a mom next spring. I was really pining for chicks this last April/May, but I can wait now. I definitely am enjoying the chick pics here on BYC, though.

Let's face it, chicks are just so freakin' CUTE! A little ball of fluff in the palm of your hand, hopping all over your legs... All the peeping, and then sleeping like passed out frat boys at a party...

You bet I will. One of the things is that I love cooking for a lot of people. It kind of blows for 2 people,lol
I need someone that can sell me some pigs and I want to learn to have them at home. Dang! They all will have their Christmas's ,lol (Puertoricans , we eat the pork like that in Christmas)

Then make some "arroz con gandules y cerdo" (rice with pigeon peas and chunks of pork) covering at the end with a piece of banana leave from the tree:
View attachment 3167391
Then some "ricos pasteles de masa" Do not confuse these with tamales. They are not tamales. They are made with root vegetables to make the pastel and it is filled with pork well cooked and stewed until there is no juice.

View attachment 3167396
or pastel de yuca (made with just cassava) and it made and cooked just like the other pastel.
View attachment 3167398
However, I prefer to cook it on the fire instead and in the south and middle of teh country, it is called "ayacas" These I have made in the oven at home and it is so delicious.

Hey, stop, get up and get a towel to clean yourself, you are all slabbering. RaZ, close your mouth. Be at peace, people. These are just pictures,lol

The difference from mexican tamales is the way the cook the meat for the filling of course, but the outside is made of corn flour. We used root vegetables like these: (avocados, plantains, bananas nor pumpkins grow under ground)
View attachment 3167403
We also eat them like these by just boiling them with salt. This picture has cod stew over them:
View attachment 3167405
Kiosks like these are all over the whole island. Look at the size of those avocados!!!
View attachment 3167406
( you see those small green round things on the cardboard box? those are "quenepas" they grow on a tree and you just suck on them and then throw the pit out. They are only found in the south (my city of Ponce) and inland but still on the soouth. Some people have been able to make them grow in teh north but they are sour instead of sweet.
Speaking of sweet, our sweet potatoe is completely different from the sweet potatoe here. Here it yam. We barely eat yam in the island. It is really called Boniato in Spain and other hispanic countries. You can see that it looks completely different from a reagular sweet potato found at the markets in the US.
View attachment 3167408
They are so good boiled, fried, just anyway possible,lol
Ok, no more teasing you guys. Yes, I can cook all that but I need the time.

Love you all!!!

voices in my head: these people are not going to sleep tonight thinking of all this food.
me: I know, but the will one day taste if because I will cook it for them.
Voices in my head: you will? that is good.
me: yes, I will. Promise.
I am willing to be at your party when you cook! Sounds delicious!

There are some neighbors 3 streets down that I thought the had chickens but today noticed the were ducks. One day will get some courage and ask if they sell eggs. I love duck eggs! Have not had them since I left Puerto Rico in 1995. :eek:
We sell large duck eggs. When you get your syrup I'll give you some. I only eat duck eggs. Chicken eggs are for Cindy or sold.

Back
Top Bottom