Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Mr. Troyer, why is Pitbull not crowing anymore? Only hear Lovechild but he will not crow. I put Lovechild away for 2 days because he chases after Pitbull and Pitbull runs away. He will not even put up a fight. I miss my Pitbull. Just saying.
He might be afraid that Lovechild will find him if he does. It is not uncommon for a rooster that has been the "boss" and gets dethroned to not crow much or at all. "Boss" Cubalaya roosters get offended easily when an upstart takes their place as boss rooster and will often not crow after they have been beaten. I have some that will still crow after being beaten, but most of them will not, until the following late winter to early spring.
Then, only if they are penned away from the rooster that dethroned them and they are sure he can't get to them.

I would think that when Pitbull gets over being offended he'll crow again.

He might be afraid that Lovechild will find him if he does. It is not uncommon for a rooster that has been the "boss" and gets dethroned to not crow much or at all. "Boss" Cubalaya roosters get offended easily when an upstart takes their place as boss rooster and will often not crow after they have been beaten. I have some that will still crow after being beaten, but most of them will not, until the following late winter to early spring.
Then, only if they are penned away from the rooster that dethroned them and they are sure he can't get to them.

I would think that when Pitbull gets over being offended he'll crow again.
Thank you. I get him out everyday and stay close. He lts me pick him up a kiss him,lol I think he knows he is being protected and loves.

Thank you. I get him out everyday and stay close. He lts me pick him up a kiss him,lol I think he knows he is being protected and loves.
I think you are right. I have noticed that my Cubalaya roosters tend to be the more intelligent ones in the flock.
Concerning Rachel and Pitbull cross offspring I'm pretty sure Lil Mama wouldn't mind brooding several eggs again. Or, Lil Mama and Pitbulls' daughters that are coming of age next spring to be broody.
If you would just let them hatch however they want to you could potentially have two dozen more chickens by the end of next summer!! Wouldn't that be fun!

Good evening all.
I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore. The wind has been brutal all day long. My weather station has averaged 27 mph during the day light hours. The sun has set and the wind has died down to 22. It is supposed to be like this all night. Air temp is currently at 31 with a wind chill around 22. At least I have a nice fire going and inside is comfortable.

I still haven't heard from the CU about my application for the loan for a furnace. I know that the loan officer is on vacation but shouldn't they have a back-up? Damn I hate bureaucracy.

It's been more than a month since I've received a chicken egg. Only one duck hen has produced any eggs at all. Just 2 or 3 a week. I have a bunch of freeloaders here. :lol: With very little chicken news I only have the weather to post about.

Very low egg numbers here too! Twenty-seven hens, and three eggs yesterday, one cracked. Wonderful!
Our new dog is sort of settling in, although the 'honeymoon' isn't yet over. who knows what he'll try next month? Meanwhile, on leash outside, and E-collar 24/7 until his wound from surgery heals. It's a very good thing that he's so nice!
Mary

Very windy here too. The chickens didn't want to come out, even though there are wind blocks on the west side, where the wind came from. There was some breeze in there, and it was chillier than it has been, so I can't blame them.

They did come out for chickie snack though. It was warm mash mixed with the leftover "stuff" from making bone broth. Turkey bits, mashed veggie bits. They ate that part first.

No eggs here since October 18th. I had to buy some for the holiday cooking. I have 19 left in the waterglassing solution. Those eggs are fine for scrambled and some baking. Most of the yolks break when I crack them open, so no good for making meringue. Or DH's eggs over easy.

21 days to solstice! YAY! :clap

Yes! Winter solstice, then longer days!!! January is the worst, longest month of the year, can't wait for late February.
Snow flurries and wind today, feels like winter. Our 'go to' people for lawn tractor repairs are all out of commission, so it's going to a shop tomorrow. Not best, but it's not working, and we do need it all winter.
More venison in our freezer, thanks to a nice guy who hunted here recently. Won't be buying beef any time soon!
DS sprayed the birds with permethrin yesterday, mites again. The last reasonable day to do it, so not sure how we're treating them in two weeks. Hate using the dust! I'll worry about it then...
Mary

Last edited:
I think you are right. I have noticed that my Cubalaya roosters tend to be the more intelligent ones in the flock.
Concerning Rachel and Pitbull cross offspring I'm pretty sure Lil Mama wouldn't mind brooding several eggs again. Or, Lil Mama and Pitbulls' daughters that are coming of age next spring to be broody.
If you would just let them hatch however they want to you could potentially have two dozen more chickens by the end of next summer!! Wouldn't that be fun!
Totally chicken math. That's how it all starts, lol
I might just take off next month for a break. Too much drama at home and I am not being taken seriously about my decision. Hope chickens and ducks be OK as well as dog. Today got the all season new tires. Now need to get it to mechanic to have them on. Dec 8th have AA appointment and hoping for no snow those days. I might have to go on the 7th and get a room somewhere to be there by 830am. I do not want to leave at 4am if roads are too bad.
Then after the 17th, I am gone and have no clue when I will be back. I just need space and change this old-never-ending rut at home. Might spend time with sister in Florida. My sister in PR wants me to go but not getting on no plane. I need to be in some control and I love driving. No corvette museum this time for sure. Hope to fund some good quiet out of distraction time with God and ask about some things I might would like to do to see what He says.

Very windy and cold today. Tomorrow says it will be around 36. The ducks would be able to come out and I might bring the kiddy pool out towards the kitchen exit and put some warm water for them. Will take pictures if I do.

Raz, are your hens ready to lay yet? I put a nest box in their pen but I have no clue as to when they might begin laying. So far, Drakes are clumsy and funny trying to mate,lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom