Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hope he continues to be polite!
Today a friend and I placed not one, but two orders to Cackle. One for mid-April, the other for mid-May. And no white Chanties available for either! There might be some available, who knows when, but meanwhile, a variety of pullets, and a few EE bantams will be coming.
Should be a few to bring to CS in June, and all will be vaccinated against Marek's disease.
Chick fever definitely struck!
And snow coming...
Mary
I placed an order for 9 chicks, 3 barnevelder, 3 wyandotte, 3 sussex...they wont ship until late JUNE, but it was the same with all the hatcheries I looked at. I went with Michigan based The Chick Hatchery in Owosso, MI. I hope to get a few from Family Farm & Home or TSC in March.
I fear that in about 8-10 months or so there will be an influx of people looking to offload chickens because they didnt realize the upkeep, patience and investment required.

People are too busy and will realized that it takes time and patience to care for these critters.
About late winter,
Screenshot_20230128_202347.jpg
Yucky day today for me,
Screenshot_20230129-091357_Google.jpg

People thinking that eggs will be less expensive if they raise their own chickens are either going to learn to love them, or quit.
But they are! It's just the first egg that costs $2000-3000. :lau

Just being silly.

We got about 6" of snow! :celebrate Hubs is out skiing at the moment. And, it's supposed to stay cold enough this next week that it won't melt.

A T T E N T I O N !

CHICKENSTOCK:
JUNE 17, 2023
10am-3pm
Delta Mills Park
7001 Old River Trail
Lansing, MI

Come and meet crazy chicken folks.
Bring a dish to share.
Bring chicks/chickens to sell, or other livestock.
So wish I could come and put faces to names. Sounds like fun.

Wow, lower MI is getting pounded.
It’s been sunny for 2 days in the Yoop and no significant snow for nearly a week.
No skiing or snowshoeing for me anyway, still sporting my ultra chic dual knee high postop boots for another 2 weeks. There’s always March.
Stay warm

But they are! It's just the first egg that costs $2000-3000. :lau
But with the second one, they only cost $1000-1500. :lau

I think mine are down to about $10 per egg. If I don't count feed. Or fuel and mileage. Or my time. Or dh's time - building the coop and taking care of them when I'm gone. Or the time value of the investment.

Back
Top Bottom