Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hello everyone, I’ve been very busy lately, still taking it easy as much as possible in this run of mine, but still have been doing everything pretty normally. On Sunday our goat Ruby delivered twins, and yesterday Delilah also delivered twins. We were coming home from church when a Ruby went into labor, and we flew out there just in time. The family and I are all newbies to goats so it was nerve racking. The first baby was some type of breach where the feet were not on either side of the face, but instead still inside of her. I gloved up quickly and tried to gently slide my hands in and find those hooves. I was close, and got a shoulder, but then mama bellowed and ran into a corner. I was about to try again when mama plopped down and pushed him out all the same. Sister then followed right after, both were quite healthy. Then yesterday, Delilah the other doe was acting oddly, so I had the vet out, since she hasn’t been eating, and he said she may just not feel like it and gave her some b complex and gave us a bottle of amino acid to put in her water. She was still acting oddly, and tucking her butt under, but he said she shouldn’t deliver for another 12-32 hours. Well guess who immediately went into labor after he left. Delilah. She had two healthy kids, but rejected them within two hours. So now we have two bottle babies, a boy and a girl. They are cute little things.

Pictures are of Rubys twins (in the chaos I didn’t get good pictures of the bottle babies)

Attachments

• B845BC3B-FA3F-4279-934E-AD4FB8303229.jpeg
    B845BC3B-FA3F-4279-934E-AD4FB8303229.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 1
  • 49B80499-550F-414F-97A2-7C144DC8EE31.jpeg
    49B80499-550F-414F-97A2-7C144DC8EE31.jpeg
    961 KB · Views: 1
Hello everyone, I’ve been very busy lately, still taking it easy as much as possible in this run of mine, but still have been doing everything pretty normally. On Sunday our goat Ruby delivered twins, and yesterday Delilah also delivered twins. We were coming home from church when a Ruby went into labor, and we flew out there just in time. The family and I are all newbies to goats so it was nerve racking. The first baby was some type of breach where the feet were not on either side of the face, but instead still inside of her. I gloved up quickly and tried to gently slide my hands in and find those hooves. I was close, and got a shoulder, but then mama bellowed and ran into a corner. I was about to try again when mama plopped down and pushed him out all the same. Sister then followed right after, both were quite healthy. Then yesterday, Delilah the other doe was acting oddly, so I had the vet out, since she hasn’t been eating, and he said she may just not feel like it and gave her some b complex and gave us a bottle of amino acid to put in her water. She was still acting oddly, and tucking her butt under, but he said she shouldn’t deliver for another 12-32 hours. Well guess who immediately went into labor after he left. Delilah. She had two healthy kids, but rejected them within two hours. So now we have two bottle babies, a boy and a girl. They are cute little things.

Pictures are of Rubys twins (in the chaos I didn’t get good pictures of the bottle babies)
How exciting! We have had goats for several years now and every time they kid it's still exciting!
We have Nigerian dairy goats and one of them is called Ruby. Our Ruby also had twins but one was stillborn. Here is the surviving doe kid with her mother.
IMG_8571.JPG

Here is our Cur trying to be friends with Ruby and her kid, Ruby isn't so sure that she should befriend him.
IMG_8873.JPG

Blaine's had limited stock this weekend. Australorps, BRs and RIRs, and a handful of cornish. They are located on the back wall behind a barrier.

TSC in Williamston had mostly straightruns. They did have a bin marked mystic marans. I'm not familiar with the coloring of those chicks, but based on the rainbow of color in that bin, I somehow doubt that its correctly labeled. They do have a min of 4.

I officially have osteoporosis. I knew it was nasty - very slow, but nasty. I'm finding it is even nastier than I thought. Most of the things I can do are listed somewhere else as things not to do... hopefully, that isn't as much so as it looks after one day of poking at it with new eyes. My mom ended up with bones less dense than her lungs and she did more of most things that can be done than I can possibly do (weight-bearing exercise, not smoking, not super skinny or fat, calcium intake, etc). I soooo don't want to deal with this. Best I can tell, I'm at the very least ten or twenty years ahead of (as in progressed this far earlier than) the typical person who has it.

Please get enough vitamin D. That is the one thing that has no opposing cautions - of the things I can do anyway.

Most of Americans are deficient in Vit D; Michigan's overcast skies make it even more likely to not get enough.
::hugs::

How exciting! We have had goats for several years now and every time they kid it's still exciting!
We have Nigerian dairy goats and one of them is called Ruby. Our Ruby also had twins but one was stillborn. Here is the surviving doe kid with her mother.
Here is our Cur trying to be friends with Ruby and her kid, Ruby isn't so sure that she should befriend him.
Awww.... sorry you lost one. But this one is beautiful

Back
Top Bottom