Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

you are very generous. Those are beautiful eggs.
I do have to wonder though that the birds are called marans since they are not, being crossbred.
Thank you but our birds are not breeder quality yet. As far as the cross breed name I can't answer that. I do know that the MMM were bred to have the same deep chocolate egg but lay more than the BCM.
Maybe because of the chocolate egg and as long as it's at least a 4 on the color chart it can be called a Marans? But I do realize that it's a hybrid hatchery bird and more for egg production than color.

Here's a short read on the Midnight Majesty Marans for anyone interested.

https://www.ecopeanut.com/mystic-marans-chicken-complete-breed-guide/

you are very generous. Those are beautiful eggs.
I do have to wonder though that the birds are called marans since they are not, being crossbred.
"Interestingly, the Black Copper Marans (also referred to as Copper Marans) breed has not been around for a long time. It was first introduced to the world in the early 1900s. The original poule de Marans comes from the La Rochelle region in France, where they were called “swamp chickens.” Marans came about when landrace birds mated with barnyard hens from other breeds, as well as gamecocks from Indonesia and India. Later on Marans were refined by introducing Brahmas, Croad Langshan, Coucou de Rennes, Coucou de Malines, and Gatinaise breeds into the bloodline"

So is a Marans a "Marans", or just a cross breed? 😉

They have been standardized as a breed, and are listed by the American Poultry Association in Black, Wheaten, White, and Black Copper.

We went to a local restaurant once. Their special was listed as Snow's Walleye Sandwich. It seemed suspicious, so I asked what that meant. The waitress replied, "Oh, that's Cod!". Being not fond of bait-and-switch, we laughed and walked back out. I heard later they were forced to stop using that name for their frozen-fish cod sandwich.

Ok, I gotta say it here too... I'm getting honey bees!

A friend sent us info on a hive that was for sale, along with the suit, smoker, peripherals, and a honey extractor for $400. Bees not included. Everything appeared to be in great shape, so we got it. And today, I ordered the bees, which I'll go get on May 6th.

I'm excited...

They have been standardized as a breed, and are listed by the American Poultry Association in Black, Wheaten, White, and Black Copper.

We went to a local restaurant once. Their special was listed as Snow's Walleye Sandwich. It seemed suspicious, so I asked what that meant. The waitress replied, "Oh, that's Cod!". Being not fond of bait-and-switch, we laughed and walked back out. I heard later they were forced to stop using that name for their frozen-fish cod sandwich.
Wasn't meaning to ruffle any feathers... And I was gonna say something else but you brought up food.

I love Walleye. It's in the Perch family, not even remotely close to Cod. I would have walked out also. 👍.... now I'm hungry for fish.

Nothing wrong with cod, but it sure isn't walleye! I'd have walked out and reported this too.
Our little Belgian d'Uccle rooster is getting picked on by our big rooster, not a good thing. Too much time being locked in is my best guess, and I'm thinking that this remaining d'Uccle trio should move on. Anyone have room for them? Cute, nice, needing a 'retirement home' situation.
Mary

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with cod, but it sure isn't walleye! I'd have walked out and reported this too.
Our little Belgian d'Uccle rooster is getting picked on by our big rooster, not a good thing. Too much time being locked in is mot best guess, and I'm thinking that this remaining d'Uccle trio should move on. Anyone have room for them? Cute, nice, needing a 'retirement home' situation.
Mary
Any pictures?

Our little Belgian d'Uccle rooster is getting picked on by our big rooster, not a good thing. Too much time being locked in is mot best guess, and I'm thinking that this remaining d'Uccle trio should move on. Anyone have room for them? Cute, nice, needing a 'retirement home' situation.
Mary
Oh I wish I could take them! I have a bachelor pen but need to expand it already for my two boys in there, and don’t have space for more… and if I start getting more roosters… I won’t stop. 😭 Someday I hope to have accommodations to be able to have a big ole bachelor pen and take in all sorts of roosters, I think it’d be so cool to have roosters of all kinds. Just not in the space for it now unfortunately.

IMG_1385.JPG

He doesn't look this good right now, thanks to this current situation. I'm going to separate the trio tomorrow so he's not in more trouble out there. He's lost some feathers on his neck, at least. I've had d'Uccles for 30+ years, so loosing them will be tough, but the best for them given what's happening.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom